Chicago Area 240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chicago Area 240sx

Since 2006.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

power vs looks?

Go down 
+26
FusionR300zx
ilia
Adrian_S13
hs13kls
DJ Longdick
spinner
UPPER LIP YEAST INFECTION
Stab Master Sharson
Dirty Dee
Berzerker
Specter
NismoDriftPunk
rcl1221
Xmax
Jay
D*S Roski
dwvinny
Scuba Steve
Nackers
Lsonboost
D*S Dstar
D*S Trucky
Nachtmensch
gOtPUrPL3
domdaaxe58
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
rcl1221
Established Member
Established Member
rcl1221

Number of posts : 637
Vehicle : RMS13, GH6, ZX636-C1

power vs looks? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: power vs looks?   power vs looks? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2008, 3:30 am

Berzerker wrote:
lol@u all and yes i Still stand for me Power b4 looks

does your car turn? popcorn
Back to top Go down
http://www.richiesrandoms.wordpress.com
Nachtmensch
whatever
whatever
Nachtmensch

Number of posts : 11764
Vehicle : MRS, IS350

PostSubject: Re: power vs looks?   power vs looks? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2008, 5:33 am

Berzerker wrote:
Id rather have my car look stock, and be able to get up and GO anyday over looks.
eh

power vs looks? - Page 3 1990-94-Nissan-240SX-92809071990112

i'll take this anyway. fuck, id take a stock SOHC and be happy in this car
power vs looks? - Page 3 D1%20S13%20(72)
Back to top Go down
Xmax
Established Member
Established Member
Xmax

Number of posts : 593
Vehicle : 1993 S13 Fastback and 2006 Mazdaspeed 6

PostSubject: Re: power vs looks?   power vs looks? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2008, 8:15 am

This thread is to funny. Man you would think this would be a domestic vs import debate. Let me as you this since a lot of you guys love drifting. Which car is going to produce a lot of burned rubber, and get more sideways when drifting, a 400 hp S13 or a 155hp S13? When both are driven by the same driver. Hmmm....you guys make the decision there. I love both drifting and dragracing, shit if I had all the money in the world I'd build a car for just about every motorsport out there, other than Nascar. I hate Nascar.

Oh yeah one more thing.

WE ALL LOVE SPECTER.
Back to top Go down
http://www.chicagonissanclub.net
dwvinny
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster

Number of posts : 116

PostSubject: Re: power vs looks?   power vs looks? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2008, 8:52 am

this thread rocks!!
Back to top Go down
http://destructionwarehouse.com
Scuba Steve
Established Member
Established Member
Scuba Steve

Number of posts : 551
Vehicle : '93 S13 with all the Fanboy features!

PostSubject: Re: power vs looks?   power vs looks? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2008, 9:54 am

rcl1221 wrote:
Scuba Steve wrote:
Ha Ha!! When I say i prefer power, I mean a good amount of it. 200hp aint shit at all. Not compared to a nasty 700hp 9 sec. drag car (i've ridden in one but not drove). I'm going to be shootin for about 350hp by the end of summer. To me, thats a respectable number. Unlike 200, which, by the way, is about what the new civic si puts out.

Drag racing is for faggots. Are you a faggot? Definitely NOT.

Why 350? Just cause it sounds like a good number? Yes.

I'll go by what I said before, power without control is retarded. I don't want to have some 350hp, 2400lb car that leans and rolls like a fucking Buick. The control will come soon enough afterwards.

I'd much rather have a new Civic Si in all it's FWD, 200HP, Daily Driving glory (who's suspension is factory tuned quite nicely btw), than a shitty 240sx with 350+ horsepower on stock suspension. FWD sucks monkey balls.
Back to top Go down
Dirty Dee
Post Whore
Post Whore
Dirty Dee

Number of posts : 3781
Vehicle : 2012 WRX

PostSubject: Re: power vs looks?   power vs looks? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2008, 10:41 am

SEXYDRIFTER needs to voice an opinion in here
Back to top Go down
Jay
Newb friendly
Newb friendly
Jay

Number of posts : 1432
Vehicle : S13 Garage Slut & S14 Daily Whore

PostSubject: Re: power vs looks?   power vs looks? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2008, 11:03 am

Scuba Steve wrote:
rcl1221 wrote:

Drag racing is for faggots. Are you a faggot? Are you interested??? PICZ NOW!!!!

Why 350? Just cause it sounds like a good number? I can't count any higher than that.

I'll go by what I said before, power without control is retarded. I don't want to have some 350hp, 2400lb car that leans and rolls like a fucking Buick. The CRASH will come soon enough afterwards.

I'd much rather have a new Civic Si in all it's FWD, 200HP, Daily Driving glory (who's suspension is factory tuned quite nicely btw), than a shitty 240sx with 350+ horsepower on stock suspension. FWD Sucks - Because I am not willing to admit how much I love all the hondas out there.

Fixed thumb up

This is going to be one of the best threads on this forum.
Back to top Go down
Nachtmensch
whatever
whatever
Nachtmensch

PostSubject: Re: power vs looks?   power vs looks? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2008, 4:03 pm

Xmax wrote:
This thread is to funny. Man you would think this would be a domestic vs import debate. Let me as you this since a lot of you guys love drifting. Which car is going to produce a lot of burned rubber, and get more sideways when drifting, a 400 hp S13 or a 155hp S13? When both are driven by the same driver. Hmmm....you guys make the decision there. I love both drifting and dragracing, shit if I had all the money in the world I'd build a car for just about every motorsport out there, other than Nascar. I hate Nascar.

Oh yeah one more thing.

WE ALL LOVE SPECTER.
a 155hp s13 is completely capable of getting sideways. it comes down to setup of the suspension and tire choice. your 400hp car isnt going to run some 195/50-15s, thats for sure.

and since we're grouping the looks with steering/suspension, i would almost dare to say that car would be able to have more angle because of steering compnents.

the car with power and no suspension would SUCK to get sideways with all the body roll and shit from the stock suspension. the underpowered car with coils would be a hell of a lot more predictable and easier to drive precisely.
Back to top Go down
Nackers
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
Nackers

Number of posts : 1609
Vehicle : 03 350z and 89 Hatch

PostSubject: Re: power vs looks?   power vs looks? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2008, 4:21 pm

I have first hand experience with drifting on stock suspension with power. It's not so bad if your just doing simple left or right hand sweepers, but as soon as you go to switch back for a S-curve, the suspension gives out and gets all floppy so its soooo hard to control. I've spun out many of times doing that.

Now with the hatchback running only coilovers, stock motor and stock wheels/tires, I have way more control even though I can't hit all the corners I used to with the power because I'm not confident that it has the balls enough to carry though. I'm worried it'll die out, go open diff or straighten out sending me into a ditch at 50mph. But if I had a nice big open parking lot you bet your ass I'd give it a shot.

In my opinion (along with others I'm sure), it all comes down to balance. Get power, brakes, wheels/tires diff and suspension/bushings balanced. But for drag racing on a budget, stock suspension, big meaty tires and loads of power isn't that bad of a setup. ChrisAMS runs a load of power with KYB AGX's and sportlines for a drag setup and his shit does 11-10's allright.
Back to top Go down
http://nackersdrift.com
Jay
Newb friendly
Newb friendly
Jay

PostSubject: Re: power vs looks?   power vs looks? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2008, 4:24 pm

Nachtmensch wrote:

and since we're grouping the looks with steering/suspension,

you're the one thats said that.
Which IMHO is pure loco.

Nachtmensch wrote:

yeah its kinda set like
Looks - aero, wheels, suspension, paint
Power - engine, drivetrain, management
Back to top Go down
Nachtmensch
whatever
whatever
Nachtmensch

PostSubject: Re: power vs looks?   power vs looks? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2008, 5:36 pm

Jay wrote:
Nachtmensch wrote:

and since we're grouping the looks with steering/suspension,

you're the one thats said that.
Which IMHO is pure loco.

Nachtmensch wrote:

yeah its kinda set like
Looks - aero, wheels, suspension, paint
Power - engine, drivetrain, management
D*star wrote:
Were not talking about springs or cutting.
The general assumption is that for a car to look rad is gotta be flush and slammed, THUS, were including full coilover setup,rucas,etc. into the looks equation.
Back to top Go down
rcl1221
Established Member
Established Member
rcl1221

PostSubject: Re: power vs looks?   power vs looks? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2008, 6:43 pm

Nackers wrote:

In my opinion (along with others I'm sure), it all comes down to balance. Get power, brakes, wheels/tires diff and suspension/bushings balanced. allright.
Yup, that's what I think most of us strive for... but this thread is a simple either/or.

Scuba Steve wrote:

Why 350? Just cause it sounds like a good number? Yes.

I'll go by what I said before, power without control is retarded. I don't want to have some 350hp, 2400lb car that leans and rolls like a fucking Buick. The control will come soon enough afterwards.
You should have a reason for power goals, not just because a number looks pretty on paper. scratch

Control before power. If you're building a car up from stock, you should start with suspension work (and not cut spring bullshit). If you can't have both right away, having a suspension setup that overwhelms your power is 1000000000000% better than having power that overwhelms your suspension.

Nackers said it right here,
Quote :
but as soon as you go to switch back for a S-curve, the suspension gives out and gets all floppy so its soooo hard to control. I've spun out many of times doing that.
In no circumstance do you want to be going through corners with the car turning one way, but the chassis and your body going the other.
Back to top Go down
Dirty Dee
Post Whore
Post Whore
Dirty Dee

Number of posts : 3781
Vehicle : 2012 WRX

PostSubject: Re: power vs looks?   power vs looks? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2008, 7:27 pm

rcl1221 wrote:

Control before power.

werd

Power is pretty nice to have, but for daily driving I would prefer to have something that looks good that also has excellent braking & handling. For the money I've spent on my car already, I could of easily turboed my single slammer or done an engine swap, but then I would have been stuck with horrible motegi's, no rear brakes and a car that looked like crap.
Back to top Go down
Nackers
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
Nackers

Number of posts : 1609
Vehicle : 03 350z and 89 Hatch

PostSubject: Re: power vs looks?   power vs looks? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2008, 10:32 pm

D*star wrote:
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHAHHA.
Im so sorry Nackers. I swear to god i never thought of that.
But you tell me what you liked better. That coupe or having a clean ass perfect shape vert with suspension and good looks?

Hands down the sweet looking vert.
Back to top Go down
http://nackersdrift.com
Nachtmensch
whatever
whatever
Nachtmensch

PostSubject: Re: power vs looks?   power vs looks? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2008, 10:44 pm

Nackers wrote:
D*star wrote:
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHAHHA.
Im so sorry Nackers. I swear to god i never thought of that.
But you tell me what you liked better. That coupe or having a clean ass perfect shape vert with suspension and good looks?

Hands down the sweet looking vert.
yeah and the vert has no power right now! silent
Back to top Go down
rcl1221
Established Member
Established Member
rcl1221

PostSubject: Re: power vs looks?   power vs looks? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2008, 10:01 pm

our favorite thread is dying!
Back to top Go down
Stab Master Sharson
Straight outta Locash
Straight outta Locash
Stab Master Sharson

Number of posts : 4346

PostSubject: Re: power vs looks?   power vs looks? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2008, 10:38 pm

ok ppl..... take it easy on the buick comments..... dont say anything ur gonna regret later......
Back to top Go down
D*S Roski
DS! DS! DS!
DS! DS! DS!
D*S Roski

Number of posts : 3911
Vehicle : g35

PostSubject: Re: power vs looks?   power vs looks? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2008, 11:41 pm

hhahahhaha

oh no they di'int
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/roskiller
UPPER LIP YEAST INFECTION
Fucking Noob
Fucking Noob

Number of posts : 20
Vehicle : 1992 240sx coupe

PostSubject: Re: power vs looks?   power vs looks? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2008, 3:39 pm

id rather have power.someone's car might look nicer but id have the satisfaction of knowing i could blow those pretty doors right off lol.
Back to top Go down
spinner
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster
spinner

Number of posts : 121
Vehicle : 95 S14, 05 Evo RS

PostSubject: Re: power vs looks?   power vs looks? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2008, 3:55 pm

I would say look first, than power!
Back to top Go down
DJ Longdick
DS! DS! DS!
DS! DS! DS!
DJ Longdick

Number of posts : 4358
Vehicle : D*Squad 86

PostSubject: Re: power vs looks?   power vs looks? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2008, 3:56 pm

its hard for me to CHOOSE one of the other.

the order i went in with my car was

suspension > clean street car look > SR swap > REAL looks (kit, widebody, bigger wheels, paint, new exhaust)

kinda in the middle of the last step right now, just waiting to put the car away and paint it.

do i kinda wish i woulda done looks instead of the swap first? yea. but i dont regret going SR.
Back to top Go down
D*S Dstar
D*S Dstar

Number of posts : 11254
Vehicle : RED SHARK V1-5, MOBY DICK.

PostSubject: Re: power vs looks?   power vs looks? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2008, 6:12 pm

This thread is SO OLD!
Back to top Go down
https://chicagoarea240sx.editboard.com
hs13kls
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
hs13kls

Number of posts : 1053
Vehicle : 1991 black coupe

PostSubject: Re: power vs looks?   power vs looks? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2008, 6:20 pm

well..
for everyone that has seen my car..
i have put all my money to things you cant see..
like coils, exhaust, subframe bushing, all contol arms, inner and outer tie rods, sway bars, minor wire tuck, 255 fuel pump, 5 lug, 300zx brakes, all SS lines, all new rotors pads(everything).kaaz 2 way.innovate wideband, safc2..
and the only things that make my car look good is probably..

tinted windows. 350z wheels. thats it.
because i dont have a body kit..

so what i am saying. is
do you want a slammed car that looks cool and doesnt have much work to it beyond that..

or have a stockish looking car that handles like a beauty.. i am jus the type of person that like drives my car,
Back to top Go down
http://www.leagueltd.com
Jay
Newb friendly
Newb friendly
Jay

PostSubject: Re: power vs looks?   power vs looks? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2008, 11:43 pm

D*star wrote:
This thread is SO OLD!

QFT
Back to top Go down
Adrian_S13
Wizard
Wizard
Adrian_S13

Number of posts : 1310
Vehicle : Aristo....

PostSubject: Re: power vs looks?   power vs looks? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSeptember 10th 2008, 11:56 pm

Power would be nice but i went with looks first....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: power vs looks?   power vs looks? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

power vs looks?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next