Chicago Area 240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chicago Area 240sx

Since 2006.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

rerouting the wiring on a s14

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Bullet
Fucking Noob
Fucking Noob
Bullet

Number of posts : 27
Vehicle : s14

rerouting the wiring on a s14  Empty
PostSubject: rerouting the wiring on a s14    rerouting the wiring on a s14  Icon_minitimeJune 15th 2011, 12:49 am

does anybody have any idea of how to this. rerouting the wiring harness inside the engine bay any websites or advice will be helpful. its for my 95 S14 i need to to this so i could lower the car more.
Back to top Go down
mishkin_707
Forum Frequenter
Forum Frequenter
mishkin_707

Number of posts : 322
Vehicle : '89 Piggy Coupe, '08 tC, '95 talon

PostSubject: Re: rerouting the wiring on a s14    rerouting the wiring on a s14  Icon_minitimeJune 15th 2011, 3:28 am

take off the fender zip tie it higher. done.
Back to top Go down
FusionR300zx
Post Whore
Post Whore
FusionR300zx

Number of posts : 3248
Vehicle : 1997 240sx 1993 300zx 2+2

PostSubject: Re: rerouting the wiring on a s14    rerouting the wiring on a s14  Icon_minitimeJune 15th 2011, 11:54 am

theres a point where the tire will still touch the harness where it comes thru the firewall-ish area. which then must be moved to the bay. i had it done the long way, because i zip tied it up, then rubbed thru about 10 wires, then we just cut each 1 by 1 and moved it about the wheel well and wired it back up.

that's the long way. should be writeups somehwere.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/aricwithana
mishkin_707
Forum Frequenter
Forum Frequenter
mishkin_707

PostSubject: Re: rerouting the wiring on a s14    rerouting the wiring on a s14  Icon_minitimeJune 15th 2011, 1:53 pm

nice^ i didn't think about that.
Back to top Go down
whiterps13
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
whiterps13

Number of posts : 1385
Vehicle : S4

PostSubject: Re: rerouting the wiring on a s14    rerouting the wiring on a s14  Icon_minitimeJune 15th 2011, 2:03 pm

OR just make a sheet metal shield and screw that shit right over the spot that the tire rubs the harness. It will still rub, but that way you dont have to worry about it eating through wires. Easy way.
Back to top Go down
FusionR300zx
Post Whore
Post Whore
FusionR300zx

PostSubject: Re: rerouting the wiring on a s14    rerouting the wiring on a s14  Icon_minitimeJune 15th 2011, 10:14 pm

then just worry about it eating the tire more. then loosing more life on the tire for when you want to flip the tire over.

just re-route it to the bay, if ur gona cut it, do it one by one, cutting is NOT rec. for doing this. mine was already torn to pieces as well as my hood latch cable. which is the only reason i did it.
Back to top Go down
Bullet
Fucking Noob
Fucking Noob
Bullet

PostSubject: Re: rerouting the wiring on a s14    rerouting the wiring on a s14  Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2011, 6:18 am

@FusionR300zx hey got any pictures of were you put your harness in the bay and the hood latch cable? another question me and my friend were thinking about making plugs so then i could plug it after cutting it you think its a good idea or might it cause trouble? the plugs are heavy duty there the ones you find on trucks and other sort of heavy vehicles they could withstand heat and weather.
Back to top Go down
hs13kls
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
hs13kls

Number of posts : 1053
Vehicle : 1991 black coupe

PostSubject: Re: rerouting the wiring on a s14    rerouting the wiring on a s14  Icon_minitimeJune 16th 2011, 10:33 am

whiterps13 wrote:
OR just make a sheet metal shield and screw that shit right over the spot that the tire rubs the harness. It will still rub, but that way you dont have to worry about it eating through wires. Easy way.

ehh I did that on my s13 at one point and it got hooooot. Melted the harness.

To the OP I did it to my s14, its tedious you can do it a couple ways.
-you can take the dash out and find the big major plug, pull that. (honestly its a pain) but that way you dont have to cut any wires.

-If you take your time you can lengthen some of your wires and run it through the frame of your car. I think it looks better. and then you dont run the risk of rubbing through anything. Just take each wire and do it one by one.

Either way you do it, dont route the harness through the original hole in the firewall because it would defeat the reason for rerouting it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.leagueltd.com
mishkin_707
Forum Frequenter
Forum Frequenter
mishkin_707

PostSubject: Re: rerouting the wiring on a s14    rerouting the wiring on a s14  Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2011, 1:58 am

connector plugs would be cool OP, go to the junk yard and get some oem connector plugs from a cars chassis
Back to top Go down
FusionR300zx
Post Whore
Post Whore
FusionR300zx

PostSubject: Re: rerouting the wiring on a s14    rerouting the wiring on a s14  Icon_minitimeJune 17th 2011, 9:22 am

plugs would be ok as long as u wire up the connection to the female/male connectors. i have no pics of where i put it, but i run it between the fender and strut tower are on the inside of the engine bay.. i'll see if i have any pics of my engine bay after it was done, but i don't think i took any ever.
Back to top Go down
Bullet
Fucking Noob
Fucking Noob
Bullet

PostSubject: Re: rerouting the wiring on a s14    rerouting the wiring on a s14  Icon_minitimeJune 27th 2011, 2:31 pm

well i tried the plugs and failed because i did not have the correct tool to crimp them. so i went the other route of soldering the wires one by one the and i extended the wires about 6 inches each so i could have some slack to play with ,whole project was about a five hour job but it was worth the effort and i got allot of soldering practice too!!! check out the pics .rerouting the wiring on a s14  2011-010 this is how it looked before.
rerouting the wiring on a s14  Photo_10 this is when i solder the wires .
rerouting the wiring on a s14  2011-011 this is how all the wires looked after i was done really messy. rerouting the wiring on a s14  2011-012 after i cleaned the wires up a bit rerouting the wiring on a s14  2011-013 put new wire loom/wraprerouting the wiring on a s14  2011-014 some of the tools i used wire cutter, fishing knife, needle nose pliers, radio shack soldering iron . i wasted about 60 bucks in materials it would have been less but i did not have the soldering iron so i went out and got it. cutting and soldering is not recommended but it worked for me this was also my first time soldering wires together so i you tubed a soldering lesson that's what i used and it worked for me i here is the link
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: rerouting the wiring on a s14    rerouting the wiring on a s14  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

rerouting the wiring on a s14
Page 1 of 1