Chicago Area 240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chicago Area 240sx

Since 2006.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

David's CA18DET build-up thread!

Go down 
+18
k c
Rated240R
tyler
TaCo_StaMp
D*S Trucky
Adikt
Stab Master Sharson
Dirty Dee
D*S Roski
A-Town-SR
Atown 240
FusionR300zx
chitown240SX
D*S Dstar
whiteazn1184
Nachtmensch
Specter
davidricardo86
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
davidricardo86
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster
davidricardo86

Number of posts : 160
Vehicle : 92 S13 SE Coupe

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: David's CA18DET build-up thread!   David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2006, 2:35 am

:rendeer: santa
My last post was last month and ive been piling up on some pictures that ive been meaning to get up but just havent had the time (aka laziness). Its not a huge update or the most exciting update but... it is what is.

Earlier in the year it was easier to buy parts (i was working a lot more hours) and get things done but now that its cold and almost winter time, im just not bringing in the dough to make it go as fast as id like to. I work for Sherwin Williams as a "sales associate" and they decide that winter is a slow season for painting so they've cut back on my hours and that takes its toll on my paychecks. Its tough saving your money when you've got college, insurance, and bills to pay aswell as other expenses. Oh and with Christmas on its way... its not lookin' too good. Slowly but surely, i will make it through this! Well heres some pictures of what ive been upto lately. Let me know if youve got any ideas, comments, or whatever. Enjoy!

These first ones are from my intake manifold. I took more pictures but i think you get the idea. Its just a simple disassembly. Its now waiting to be bead blasted, ported/polished and maybe powdercoated.

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6071

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6102

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6103

And this is from the inside of the plenum. Get a load of the pattern of the crap in there. I thought the camera captured good detail here.

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6104

Next are my covers. These were glass bead blasted and now are waiting on some red powdercoating. Im going to take them in after the head is finished. Im also going to be getting other parts blasted like intake manifold, butterfly mani, fuel rail, etc. etc. It depends if i want to spend the money... we'll see.

Before:

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT5988

Now:

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6137

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6138

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6139

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6140

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6142

Finally i have some pictures of my block being painted and the color and product i chose. When i got it back home, dumbass me was too anxious, impatient and excited to get the engine back on the stand that i chipped the paint a little using the hoist and chain. I shouldve had someone give me a hand taking it out of the car like i did at school. Oh well, thats what i get. lol.

This is what i used. I went with "Aluminum" because it reflected the most light and preferred it over "Cast Coat Aluminum" or some other dark color. I used primer, a finish coat, and a clear coat on the block, oil pan, and other things that you might be able to see from the pictures.

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT5926

This was the two test samples i did before deciding on the color. You can see the slight difference between the two.

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT5903

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT5906

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT5907

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT5908

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6064

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6065

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6066

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6067

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6068

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6069

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6070

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6201

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6203

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6204

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6205

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6206

Well thats it this time. Im now waiting on more money, parts, and warmer weather. Peace!

Oh this a pic Dattodue's ca from nico.

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Cams_6.sized
Back to top Go down
chitown240SX
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster

Number of posts : 192
Vehicle : S14

PostSubject: Re: David's CA18DET build-up thread!   David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2006, 5:34 pm

Dude i got to see that engine in person. Good job
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2503868
Specter
WALLA WALLA WASHINGTON!!!!!!!!
Specter

Number of posts : 2505
Vehicle : '89 Piggy Coupe

PostSubject: Re: David's CA18DET build-up thread!   David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 20th 2006, 6:42 pm

that reminds me i need to paint my block

good to see it's comming along man
Back to top Go down
D*S Trucky
DS! DS! DS!
DS! DS! DS!
D*S Trucky

Number of posts : 5038
Vehicle : 91 s13 coupe

PostSubject: Re: David's CA18DET build-up thread!   David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2006, 12:53 am

Props on the build soon it will be ready to beat on..Yo roski we have same job and by god does it pay well!!!
Back to top Go down
D*S Roski
DS! DS! DS!
DS! DS! DS!
D*S Roski

Number of posts : 3911
Vehicle : g35

PostSubject: Re: David's CA18DET build-up thread!   David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2006, 12:59 am

HAha
FA SHO. . . .
the only problem is SAVING money. .. and not wastin it on kicks. . .
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/roskiller
D*S Trucky
DS! DS! DS!
DS! DS! DS!
D*S Trucky

PostSubject: Re: David's CA18DET build-up thread!   David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2006, 1:06 am

Ah i know what u mean im trying to buy an sr and finish my front end aswell but temptation is a mutha#@$%*... So whats the name of ur company?
Back to top Go down
Atown 240
Resident post whore
Resident post whore
Atown 240

Number of posts : 1394
Vehicle : '91

PostSubject: Re: David's CA18DET build-up thread!   David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2006, 1:07 am

TRUCK BOY BUY MY SR!
Back to top Go down
D*S Roski
DS! DS! DS!
DS! DS! DS!
D*S Roski

Number of posts : 3911
Vehicle : g35

PostSubject: Re: David's CA18DET build-up thread!   David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2006, 1:09 am

thats confidential. ..
i'm wanted by the feds. . .
(no joke). ..
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/roskiller
Specter
Specter

PostSubject: Re: David's CA18DET build-up thread!   David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2006, 11:41 am

ROSKILLER wrote:
thats confidential. ..
(no joke). ..

somehow that does not surprise me...
Back to top Go down
Stab Master Sharson
Straight outta Locash
Straight outta Locash
Stab Master Sharson

Number of posts : 4346

PostSubject: Re: David's CA18DET build-up thread!   David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 21st 2006, 12:37 pm

Specter wrote:
ROSKILLER wrote:
thats confidential. ..
(no joke). ..

somehow that does not surprise me...

AhaHAAHAHahahHHAHahaA Razz
Back to top Go down
TaCo_StaMp
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster
TaCo_StaMp

Number of posts : 105
Vehicle : potato

PostSubject: Re: David's CA18DET build-up thread!   David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 25th 2006, 2:17 pm

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT4946

this has got to be the cleanest stock ka i have ever seen in my life. bravo.

Nice build btw. Hows the whole parts thing coming along? I know its pretty scarce as for the aftermarket parts for that motor but i must say its looking really promising.

my friend put a ca into his hatch maybe you 2 can get to talking. maybe help eachother out.

Matty
Back to top Go down
davidricardo86
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster
davidricardo86

PostSubject: Re: David's CA18DET build-up thread!   David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 27th 2006, 3:14 am

TaCo_StaMp wrote:
David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT4946

Matty

Quote :
this has got to be the cleanest stock ka i have ever seen in my life. bravo.

Thanks! In the summer, i like washing the engine bay down and making it shiney! Self gratification from having a clean and spotless car.

Quote :
Nice build btw. Hows the whole parts thing coming along? I know its pretty scarce as for the aftermarket parts for that motor but i must say its looking really promising.

Actually you know what? It really isnt. What do you need? What aftermarket? Or an OEM piece? I can point you in the direction if you need something.

Well here some things that can be found with some searching. A used clip, motorset, engine only, tranny, new or used block, new or used oem and aftermarket billet crank, 2.0L stroker cranks, oem forged rods or aftermarket billet rods, oem pistons and aftermarket forged pistons in different bore sizes, compressions and shape, 4 or 8 port heads, oem and aftermarket camshafts from Jun Tomei and HKS, not to mention matching valvetrain from these. Exhaust manifolds can be found for fairly cheap. Turbo chargers of different sizes and intercoolers. ECUs, piggybacks, ignition and fuel computers, stand-alones, etc can also be found but all at a reasonable price. Water pump, oil pump, seals, gaskets, belts, oils, sensors, etc. can be bought at local autoparts stores. The CA was in the Pulsars here in the USA. Oh the list goes on but then id have to make a seperate thread for it. With the right tuning, the CA18 is known as a bullet-proof little motor, so i have read. We'll see!

santa

Quote :
my friend put a ca into his hatch maybe you 2 can get to talking. maybe help eachother out.

Oh really?! Whats his name? Is he on here? Does he have email? I'd like to meet him as i would be very interested in seeing his CA project.
Back to top Go down
TaCo_StaMp
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster
TaCo_StaMp

Number of posts : 105
Vehicle : potato

PostSubject: Re: David's CA18DET build-up thread!   David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2006, 12:09 am

yea dude for sure. His names Alex lives in Buffalo Grove. If you want i can tell him to give you a call.

Matty
Back to top Go down
davidricardo86
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster
davidricardo86

PostSubject: Re: David's CA18DET build-up thread!   David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2006, 1:09 am

My email and yahoo sn is davidricardo86@yahoo.com. That would be the best way to get a hold of me. Or the house phone.
Back to top Go down
davidricardo86
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster
davidricardo86

PostSubject: Update: January 08 2007   David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2007, 4:45 pm

Hey! Well its a new year now and i have small update guys! With Christmas and new years out of the way, im jumping back in the game and ready for more. I took the initiative and took lots of photos of my intake manifold and 8 port runners because i was bored and wanted to do something! I did also because i know the 4 port and 8 port topics have come up and i know these pictures can be useful. They can also be linked or used to further explain or help explain some things that are related to this. Ryan, maybe you could get some ideas from this when you do the 4/8 port head/manifold comparisons. Let me know what you guys think.

Also I am getting the head done as soon as i can get access to it. I left it at my school and its been locked there since my Christmas vacation started! I have the money i want to get it done ASAP. Ill post and update once its done. Any recommendations before i take it to the machinist are greatly appreciated. Right now all i have in mind are a 3 angle valve job, new valve guides, and maybe some light port/ polishing accompanied with some flow bench time. You never know, ill let you guys know what happened later.

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6550

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6551

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6554

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6557

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6560

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6561

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6562

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6564

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6565

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6567

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6568

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6569

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6570

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6571

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6574

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6576

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6577

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6586

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6587

Anyone can use the pictures, just tell 'em David took 'em. :bigthumb
Back to top Go down
davidricardo86
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster
davidricardo86

PostSubject: Update: January 28 2007   David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2007, 4:46 pm

Well i finally got my head done guys! Here's some pics i took of it when i first got it. I had it cleaned, new stem seals, rebuilt lifters by Float_6969, 3 angle valve job, new exhaust valve(one was out of spec/bad), it was milled and reassembled. I kept all the old hardware because it was still good and within manufacturer's specs. I orignally was planning on upgrading the cams, springs, and a few other things. Well i did more research on turbocharging and tuning and my mind changed a bit. Bigger cams wouldve meant a bigger turbo, more fuel, ecu re-tune, and a few other things to accommodate the new camshafts. The stock cams are perfectly fine for starters which are great for overall response, little overlap, and little turbo lag. Eventually i want to autocross and maybe time trail so this will definately work for me. Anyways im going with the "start off small and later go bigger" concept. Ill still be able to have lots of fun and it will be a learning process, just like this whole project i got myself into.

Any input appreciated.

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6593

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6595

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6596

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6597

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6598

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6599

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6600

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6602

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6604

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6607

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6608

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6611

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6613

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6615

Modified by davidricardo86 at 7:02 PM 1/28/2007
Back to top Go down
davidricardo86
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster
davidricardo86

PostSubject: Re: Update: January 28 2007 (davidricardo86)   David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2007, 4:49 pm

Am i worrying too much?

Alirght now these next pictures are from the bottom or mating surface that was milled. I took the head to a different shop, not the one i took my block to. The shop, Windy City Machine Shop, wasnt as organized, expensive, or looked dingy compared to the shop i took my block to. Someone recommended them and said they were good and worth a try.

Anyways i was planning on using an appropriate sized Cometic MLS headgasket because i had the block decked and the head milled. I tried taking high resolution pics of the job done to show that theres fine scratches and lines. Now some are very very small and some i CAN feel with my nails, some i can't. I am not too happy about this and worried that if i did use a metal HG, that id run into trouble with sealing issues. I read all the old posts on headgaskets and now am concerned about this. I would hate to have to spend more money on this, again. I do have an OEM HG that i was thinking about using instead.

I asked how much material was removed from the head and they told me 0.007". The machine shop that decked my block said they do the minimum but i forgot to ask back when i had it done, im dumb. They told me its usually 0.001"-0.003".

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6685

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6684

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6683

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6681

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6680

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6679

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6678

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6677
Back to top Go down
A-Town-SR
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
A-Town-SR

Number of posts : 1423
Vehicle : SR 240sx (hatch)

PostSubject: Re: David's CA18DET build-up thread!   David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2007, 10:00 pm

damn I'd be pissed but on a happier note I like the way you got the head just sitting on your kitchen table lol
Back to top Go down
chitown240SX
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster

PostSubject: Re: David's CA18DET build-up thread!   David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2007, 11:30 pm

looks good very very nice keep us updated.
Back to top Go down
chitown240SX
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster

PostSubject: Re: David's CA18DET build-up thread!   David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2007, 11:31 pm

looks good very very nice keep us updated.
Back to top Go down
Nachtmensch
whatever
whatever
Nachtmensch

Number of posts : 11764
Vehicle : MRS, IS350

PostSubject: Re: David's CA18DET build-up thread!   David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2007, 11:35 pm

bring that head back. get a refund. go somewhere else.
Back to top Go down
Specter
Specter

PostSubject: Re: David's CA18DET build-up thread!   David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2007, 11:54 pm

yup, that shop that did your head is garbage...

do as kevin [dc2_lsvtec] says

anyways that has to be the cleanest factory new engine ever... christ that's clean
Back to top Go down
D*S Trucky
DS! DS! DS!
DS! DS! DS!
D*S Trucky

PostSubject: Re: David's CA18DET build-up thread!   David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2007, 11:58 pm

Fuck yeah dude take it back.......Props on the build though.
Back to top Go down
davidricardo86
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster
davidricardo86

PostSubject: Re: David's CA18DET build-up thread!   David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2007, 12:32 am

Well guys i got the head back and i must say i am now satisfied and ready to continue along with the project! The shop that did my head the first time wasnt exactly a "performance" shop, more of just a "rebuild" shop so they wont take the measures that a performance shop would.

Last time i posted, the head had scratches and didnt look good enough for the Cometic MLS headgasket i was planning on using. Some of the scratches you could literally feel with a sharp finger nail! I took it back to my favorite machinist, Precision Engine Rebuilders, and they told me that it wasnt too bad and that i wouldnt run into any problems with the type of headgasket i wanted to use. The owner told me this and he also said that as long as there wasnt any deep scratches running across the fire rings, id be ok. But since there was a deep scratch that would've possed a threat, i decided to have the head milled once again. While they were at that, the filled down any sharp edges formed from the milling process. They also had to remove the cams so all the valves could close. From the pictures provided you will be able to see the paint that has come off from the valves from the previouse shop.

Let this be a lesson to me and all the future CA or any tuners that follow! Make sure you have critical and very important machining done by a reputable, experienced, and equiped machinist! If not, you'll end up paying twice like i did! Learn from others' mistakes so you wont have to repeat them!

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6678

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6677

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6684

Luckily this little detour only cost me $60.00. Phew! :bigthumb Heres my head as of now. Just waiting for that Cometic head gasket to arrive (1.55mm). The mating surface shines just like in the pictures. I know that its not that obvious in the pictures but in real life and up close its Amazing!

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6791

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6793

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6794

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6795

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6796

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6797

David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 PICT6798
Back to top Go down
tyler
Post Whore
Post Whore

Number of posts : 2227
Vehicle : s14

PostSubject: Re: David's CA18DET build-up thread!   David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2007, 2:52 pm

damn thats clean.... head looks much better now. good luck with the rest of the build and keep us updated cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: David's CA18DET build-up thread!   David's CA18DET build-up thread! - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

David's CA18DET build-up thread!
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next