Chicago Area 240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chicago Area 240sx

Since 2006.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

SR/KADE Swap issues?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Nackers
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
Nackers

Number of posts : 1609
Vehicle : 03 350z and 89 Hatch

SR/KADE Swap issues? Empty
PostSubject: SR/KADE Swap issues?   SR/KADE Swap issues? Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2007, 4:30 am

Alright, I'm going to post the same over at zilvia to get more responces, but since out tech section... for lack of a better word, sucks, I'm hoping to get a little more info out there.

I have a 89 coupe that had a SOHC motor in it. The guy sucessfuly did a SR20DET swap into it including the wiring. I'm taking the SR20DET out of the 89 sohc hatch and putting it into my 94 240sx convertible, then taking the KA24DE out and putting it into the SOHC Hatch. My questions are these...

1. Is the wiring harness I pulled out of the SOHC hatch going to just "plug and play" with my 94 DOHC Vert?

2. I noticed in the wiring harness that in my Vert I have a plug with a larger connector. It's kinda hard to explain but from what I can tell there are 3 connectors comming off the main harness. The ECU connector, a second connector thats kinda rectangle that I believe goes to the dash, and a 3rd connector that on the SR harness is smaller than the one in my KA Vert. Do I just match up wire colors or is this needed at all?

3. What problems am I going to face when trying to install the DOHC motor into the Hatch? I've read that there is a connector your supposed to cut off and hook the wires to. I'm not sure which one this is.

Thank you ever so much for your help. I'm in the middle of the swaps right now (I know I got this ass backwards... ask first blah blah) and I would like to have it done by Friday night so ASAP would be more than greatly appreciated.

BTW, if you have any other imput to add, please feel free as long as it's helping my cause. I don't really need "Sweet, SR vert" or any of that non-sence. Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
http://nackersdrift.com
Rated240R
Official Chef
Official Chef
Rated240R

Number of posts : 666
Vehicle : 1991 Nissan 240sx

PostSubject: Re: SR/KADE Swap issues?   SR/KADE Swap issues? Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2007, 9:16 am

1st off there is only a few cables that need to be changed on the Sr harness to fit the 240. From what I can remember, 1 connector goes to the blower motor under the dash which needs to switched with the connector from your s13 harness. I can't remember the others right now. Perhaps some pics would jog my memory a bit. Wire colors on the sr harness and your s13 harness will not match up partner.

It would be much better if you had some pics to go off of. Give me a call and I can walk you through this cuz reading your thread is not helping.
Back to top Go down
http://stores.ebay.com/Rated-R-Performance
Nackers
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
Nackers

PostSubject: Re: SR/KADE Swap issues?   SR/KADE Swap issues? Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2007, 2:37 pm

Arlight, I talked to Jeff @ heavythrottle and he said that the connnector I'm explaining is possibly for ABS, and its really not needed so don't worry about it. I'm good on that one.

The only other question I'm worried about is the SR harness that has been modded for SOHC chassis. I'm wondering if all the engine bay plugs will just go in and work since the only plug they tell you to modify with the SOHC - DOHC swap is the one in the interior for the gauge cluster and shit. Is that right?
Back to top Go down
Nackers
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
Nackers

PostSubject: Re: SR/KADE Swap issues?   SR/KADE Swap issues? Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2007, 2:45 pm

Alright, a little more info I got from Zilvia...

"The SR harness will plug right into the DOHC chassis under the hood, but you'll need to cut or repin the dash plug since it's different. The same wire colors apply here as a SOHC. Basically it's a drop in otherwise, but you will need to DOHC steering lines, tachometer, and A/C parts if you want A/C.

For the DOHC, the two extra plugs inside the car are for the ACSD and ATC, unless the SOHC car is an automatic or has cruise, you don't need either one. The chassis plugs under the hood will again plug right in."

That is exactly what I wanted to know. Now I know what to do.
Back to top Go down
Jay
Newb friendly
Newb friendly
Jay

Number of posts : 1432
Vehicle : S13 Garage Slut & S14 Daily Whore

PostSubject: Re: SR/KADE Swap issues?   SR/KADE Swap issues? Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2007, 2:49 pm

I looked at a buddies SR in SOHC as to try reference some wiring stuff - but the colors were all wrong.
Best bet would be to talk to Eric (not Scott) at TF, as he does the wiring stuff and he'd be able to tell you.
Back to top Go down
Nackers
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
Nackers

PostSubject: Re: SR/KADE Swap issues?   SR/KADE Swap issues? Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2007, 2:53 pm

Jeff and now this guy from Zilvia confirmed that the only thing needed to change for my swap is the connector in the car. I should have figured as much since to do a SOHC to DOHC swap you have to modify this.
Back to top Go down
profpin
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster
profpin

Number of posts : 119
Vehicle : sil 80

PostSubject: Re: SR/KADE Swap issues?   SR/KADE Swap issues? Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2007, 5:00 pm

heres a link for ya..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine Harness & Electrical Connections

Our engines come with a complete, uncut harness and lower engine harness that includes the transmission sensor plugs and the starter, alternator and oil pressure sender wiring. Common places to have the harness incorrectly cut are where it runs into the firewall to the ECU, and right at the back of the valve cover, keeping the injector and plug harness, but usually missing the ECU, MAFS, igniter chip and their wires.
There are 2 plugs on the end of the KA harness and 3 plugs on the SR harness that run up behind the stock battery location. Although the plugs do initially snap together, the wires do not line up and you have to cut the plugs off and connect the wires using the table below. Cut the 2 main KA plugs off the KA harness and splice them onto the SR harness.

SR Harness Wire Color
Use
KA Harness Plug Wire Color

Black / Pink stripe
Fuel Pump Relay
Black / Pink stripe

Green / Orange stripe
Transmission Neutral Sensor
Green / Orange stripe

Red / Black stripe

*NOTE: Red fades - do not confuse this wire with Fuel Pump wire
ECU Relay
Red / Black stripe

Green / Yellow stripe
AC Relay
Green / Yellow stripe

Red
ECU Backup Power
Red

Black / Red stripe (THICK wire)

Blue / Red stripe (THICK wire)

Brown (to O2 sensor)

*NOTE: Connect these 2 THICK wires and 1 THIN Brown wire to 1 THICK wire on KA plug side

*NOTE: There may be a THIN Blue / Red wire - this is not used
Main Ignition Power

O2 Sensor Power
Black / Red stripe (THICK wire)

Black / White stripe
ECU Power
Black / White stripe

Blue / Green stripe
AC Relay
Blue / Green stripe

Black / Yellow stripe
Idle Air Control Valve Power
Black / Yellow stripe

The MAFS and power steering sensor wires need to make it over to the front driver's side of the engine compartment, use the MAFS and PS wires from the KA harness to extend these wires. The AC compressor wire from the KA engine bay harness should be used NOT the SR harness AC wire (even though it fits). The starter and alternator plugs to the fuse box are all the same and plug right in. There are several unused and leftover harness plugs, anything not mentioned here does not need to be connected.

Last edited by on October 25th 2007, 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
profpin
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster
profpin

Number of posts : 119
Vehicle : sil 80

PostSubject: Re: SR/KADE Swap issues?   SR/KADE Swap issues? Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2007, 5:08 pm

ECU & Dash wiring

The colors on the wires that run from the ECU up into the dash matched up perfectly on both the SR ECU harness and the KA dash harness:

Wire Color
Use

Yellow / Red stripe
Tachometer signal

Yellow / Green stripe
Speedometer signal

Orange
Ignition start

Black (may be more than one ground)
Ground

Blue / Green stripe
AC signal

Blue / Black stripe
Water temp signal

The rest of the wires are for the CONSULT diagnostic device. It is not necessary to connect any other wires than those listed above to get the SR to run properly.

Connect the remaining wires if you plan to use the onboard diagnostic CONSULT connector.

The Apexi turbo timer is connected to the O2 sensor wire at the ECU to provide auto countdown functions. The Apexi AVC-R is also attached to the ECU harness for tachometer signal, speed signal, and throttle position. Apexi products come with a very good ECU pinout diagram that is extremely useful.

Remove the brackets from the SR ECU to make it easier to mount.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SR/KADE Swap issues?   SR/KADE Swap issues? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SR/KADE Swap issues?
Page 1 of 1