Chicago Area 240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chicago Area 240sx

Since 2006.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Redtop Fuel pump problem

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Nackers
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
Nackers

Number of posts : 1609
Vehicle : 03 350z and 89 Hatch

Redtop Fuel pump problem Empty
PostSubject: Redtop Fuel pump problem   Redtop Fuel pump problem Icon_minitimeMay 28th 2008, 4:57 pm

I have a couple questions. It is a bit complicated so bare with me.

1994 240 with Redtop SR20DET
Stock, stock, stock setup.
FMIC
Stock Maf
Stock Turbo
Etc.

A bit of background. About 4 weeks ago I sucessfully started the car with a Mine's tuned ECU with zero problems besides for the idle and that from running the ECU on a stock setup. Everything worked fine.

I bought a E5 ECU that was previously blown somehow. He jumped the burnt part with wire and a fuse and said it worked. I know the guy and he's a good guy so I believe him when he says this.

I threw the ECU in the passanger seat and it bounced off and landed on the floor. I put it in my car and noticed the fuel pump wouldn't prime. I checked the ecu first to make sure I plugged it in all the way and heard a spark followed by the popping of the fuse.

I opened the ECU cover to find the soldered joint came unconnected. Presumably from me dropping it. I had my friend re-solder the joint and check to make sure it wasn't shorting to any other connection.

Put the ECU back in the car and still the fuel pump won't prime. Checked the fuse with the DVOM along with physically looking at it. I took the pump out to make sure the wiring was still connected and checked everything with my DVOM. I found that the 6pin connector going to the pump had no power going to the pump, but power for the fuel level.

I got on zilvia and found this post...

[quote=Z U L8R;1845381]go by your battery. unplug the little red plug tucked in the fender well. grab the male end of the plug and put your test light (which needs to be connected to your postive battery terminal) and probe the black/pink stripe wire. turn the key on and see if your test light will light up for the first 5 seconds then go out. if yes, now try cranking your motor. your test light should stay lit while you're cranking the motor. if it does both of these things, then your ecu's fine. and somewhere from your fuel pump relay to the fuel pump there's a break in the wire. you can either trace down the open , or run your own power wire from the relay to your pump. or i'll tell you how to wire in your own relay...just depends on how tired of this problem you are Very Happy

test those 2 things and report back lol.

Dave =][/quote]

First with that male plug. It should be going to ground and not power right? I put it to ground and the relay clicked and the pump came on.

Second is the result.

I put the test light into the male end of the plug and the other end to ground. Turned the key and the pump turned on but would not shut off after the few seconds when it should. Unfortunatly, my battery doesn't have enough juice to crank but for a few seconds before putting it back on the charger but I did attempt to crank it and the pump did stay on. Turn the key off and the pump stayed on along with the "brake" light in the gauge cluster.

I'm wondering if this means that either...

1. The black/pink wire is broken somewhere from the plug to the ECU

2. The ECU is bad.

Like I've said, I've had other problems with this ECU so I'm leaning twords that, but I'm not sure if either of these are even the right conclusion and that it is something else instead.

One other question is the S14 FSM for the ECU pinout the same as a E5 or #62 so I can check resistance between that reddish plug with the black/pink wire to the ECU to confirm if the wire is bad or not?

Thanks for your help.
Back to top Go down
http://nackersdrift.com
Fairladysx_s13
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster
Fairladysx_s13

Number of posts : 147
Vehicle : 89 Hatch Sr

PostSubject: Re: Redtop Fuel pump problem   Redtop Fuel pump problem Icon_minitimeJune 9th 2008, 4:05 pm

its the ecu dude no doubt. everything worked with the first tuned ecu right? ha i had a similar problem. idk y they send u a tuned ecu. well first off u should be using a number 52 ecu since u have a s13 redtop. e5 is a blacktop which ive read works but im just being precaustious. You also said uve already had problems with this ecu. If u want we can plug mine in to see if it runs. I have a number 52.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/afskatepunk15
Specter
WALLA WALLA WASHINGTON!!!!!!!!
WALLA WALLA WASHINGTON!!!!!!!!
Specter

Number of posts : 2505
Vehicle : '89 Piggy Coupe

PostSubject: Re: Redtop Fuel pump problem   Redtop Fuel pump problem Icon_minitimeJune 9th 2008, 8:12 pm

wow... and you put a "previously burnt out" ecm in your car?

and you're surprised that this happened?

not to rag on you man, i know you're a smart guy... but common really?

replace the ecm, swap it out with a buddies working STOCK ecm and see what happens
Back to top Go down
D*S Dstar
D*S Dstar

Number of posts : 11254
Vehicle : RED SHARK V1-5, MOBY DICK.

PostSubject: Re: Redtop Fuel pump problem   Redtop Fuel pump problem Icon_minitimeJune 9th 2008, 8:39 pm

Common

Come on
Back to top Go down
https://chicagoarea240sx.editboard.com
FusionR300zx
Post Whore
Post Whore
FusionR300zx

Number of posts : 3248
Vehicle : 1997 240sx 1993 300zx 2+2

PostSubject: Re: Redtop Fuel pump problem   Redtop Fuel pump problem Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2008, 12:00 am

D*star wrote:
Common

Come on

spell check.
woot.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/aricwithana
Nackers
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
Nackers

PostSubject: Re: Redtop Fuel pump problem   Redtop Fuel pump problem Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2008, 12:21 am

Specter wrote:
wow... and you put a "previously burnt out" ecm in your car?

and you're surprised that this happened?

not to rag on you man, i know you're a smart guy... but common really?

replace the ecm, swap it out with a buddies working STOCK ecm and see what happens

There was one spot in the ECu and anyone with eyes could see the problem and it was delt with accordingly. Besides, the break in the circuit was for the ignition.

Although, after being live and disconnected, I'm sure thats what happened. I have a new ECu on the way should be here tommarow and we'll see whats up.
Back to top Go down
Fairladysx_s13
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster
Fairladysx_s13

Number of posts : 147
Vehicle : 89 Hatch Sr

PostSubject: Re: Redtop Fuel pump problem   Redtop Fuel pump problem Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2008, 1:47 am

good luck sir
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/afskatepunk15
Nackers
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
Nackers

PostSubject: Re: Redtop Fuel pump problem   Redtop Fuel pump problem Icon_minitimeJune 13th 2008, 12:02 am

It was the ECU. Car is up and runnin again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Redtop Fuel pump problem   Redtop Fuel pump problem Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Redtop Fuel pump problem
Page 1 of 1