Chicago Area 240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chicago Area 240sx

Since 2006.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Higher boost sputter

Go down 
+3
ka24orce
Nachtmensch
Brad Feinstein
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Brad Feinstein
Fucking Noob
Fucking Noob

Number of posts : 82

Higher boost sputter Empty
PostSubject: Higher boost sputter   Higher boost sputter Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2011, 11:26 pm

So i've had this issue on and off since I bought the car last spring. When I am boosting anything over about 8psi my car starts to sputter/pop. I can hold the throttle steady just under 8psi and it accelerates perfectly normal, and it starts and idles just fine as well. I had the spark plugs out and set the gap to around .032". Just a dumb thought, the coils dont ground out thru the bolt that holds them down do they? Because one coil has a broken off bolt in the valve cover and that has been my only thought to what could be causing this.

For the last few weeks it has been doing this all the time...I was planning on signing up for the event on the 9/4 but can barely break the tires loose like this!
Back to top Go down
Nachtmensch
whatever
whatever
Nachtmensch

Number of posts : 11764
Vehicle : MRS, IS350

PostSubject: Re: Higher boost sputter   Higher boost sputter Icon_minitimeAugust 23rd 2011, 11:32 pm

coils ground through the wiring. Sounds like it's running lean. Add more fuel and see what it does.
Back to top Go down
Brad Feinstein
Fucking Noob
Fucking Noob

PostSubject: Re: Higher boost sputter   Higher boost sputter Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2011, 9:28 am

I have no way to add more fuel, its an all stock sr setup.
Back to top Go down
Nachtmensch
whatever
whatever
Nachtmensch

PostSubject: Re: Higher boost sputter   Higher boost sputter Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2011, 10:54 am

Yeah, change that.

You're stuffing more air into it, stuff more fuel.
Back to top Go down
Brad Feinstein
Fucking Noob
Fucking Noob

PostSubject: Re: Higher boost sputter   Higher boost sputter Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2011, 10:57 am

I guess I just dont see why it would need more fuel, unless something wasnt operating properly..(injector, fpr, pump). It is stock boost, the only thing not stock to the sr is probably the intake!

What would be the easiest way to get more fuel? I have a walbro.
Back to top Go down
ka24orce
Ace Combat Driver
Ace Combat Driver

Number of posts : 372
Vehicle : 180sx,

PostSubject: Re: Higher boost sputter   Higher boost sputter Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2011, 11:13 am

Is the intake tube that stock rubber one? Those like to collapse on themselves
Back to top Go down
Nachtmensch
whatever
whatever
Nachtmensch

PostSubject: Re: Higher boost sputter   Higher boost sputter Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2011, 11:51 am

this tells me you aren't at stock boost
Brad Feinstein wrote:
SWhen I am boosting anything over about 8psi my car starts to sputter/pop.
Back to top Go down
gOtPUrPL3
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
gOtPUrPL3

Number of posts : 1493
Vehicle : 240sx

PostSubject: Re: Higher boost sputter   Higher boost sputter Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2011, 12:23 pm

might have a boost leak.make sure all your couplers are tight on the inter cooler and that none of them have any damage.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/xdabsx
Brad Feinstein
Fucking Noob
Fucking Noob

PostSubject: Re: Higher boost sputter   Higher boost sputter Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2011, 9:33 pm

Without the solenoid that usually doesnt come with the sr20 motorsets the boost is at 11 psi. I will be double checking couplers tomorrow. The intake tube is an aluminum one, I replaced that a while back thinking that was the problem.
Back to top Go down
DJ Longdick
DS! DS! DS!
DS! DS! DS!
DJ Longdick

Number of posts : 4358
Vehicle : D*Squad 86

PostSubject: Re: Higher boost sputter   Higher boost sputter Icon_minitimeAugust 24th 2011, 9:58 pm

no, without the solenoid, boost is 7psi (wastegate spring pressure). With the oem boost solenoid its 10. Its impossible for it to be the other way around, as electronic means cannot lower boost lower than the wastegate spring's stiffness.

and again, theres no reason you should need to tune at that boost level from a stock turbo. I used stock s13 injectors, MAF and ECU with cams and a t28 at 16-18lbs of boost and never had a single issue. Stock ecu and injectors can handle a t25 at 14+psi without a complaint, so this is a different.

I forget, does your car have a boost controller? or maybe check for an hks wastegate actuator or something, because you SHOULD be boosting 7psi natively, not 10 or 11.

check for boost leaks as well, like dabs said.
Back to top Go down
Brad Feinstein
Fucking Noob
Fucking Noob

PostSubject: Re: Higher boost sputter   Higher boost sputter Icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2011, 8:38 am

No we took the boost controller out. Ok so I had the 2 mixed around, it is boosting around 10-11 right now (or trying to).
Back to top Go down
Brad Feinstein
Fucking Noob
Fucking Noob

PostSubject: Re: Higher boost sputter   Higher boost sputter Icon_minitimeAugust 25th 2011, 10:57 pm

Well today I found a vacuum hose going from the valve cover to right behind the engine cracked in 3 places from being too hot. Got that piece replaced and now I have a high idle, and it still sputters the same.
Back to top Go down
rc1honda
Fucking Noob
Fucking Noob
rc1honda

PostSubject: Re: Higher boost sputter   Higher boost sputter Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2011, 1:45 pm

Bring your plug gap down to .28. Change the idle via adjustment screw.
Back to top Go down
Brad Feinstein
Fucking Noob
Fucking Noob

PostSubject: Re: Higher boost sputter   Higher boost sputter Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2011, 10:57 pm

Got it....was either the fuel pump relay power wire or the injector o-rings...Was so excited to fix both that I forgot to test in between!
Back to top Go down
D*S Dstar
D*S Dstar

Number of posts : 11254
Vehicle : RED SHARK V1-5, MOBY DICK.

PostSubject: Re: Higher boost sputter   Higher boost sputter Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2011, 5:38 am

Nice. Does that shit rip now?
Back to top Go down
https://chicagoarea240sx.editboard.com
Brad Feinstein
Fucking Noob
Fucking Noob

PostSubject: Re: Higher boost sputter   Higher boost sputter Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2011, 1:58 pm

Yes sir, like a raped ape! lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Higher boost sputter   Higher boost sputter Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Higher boost sputter
Page 1 of 1