Chicago Area 240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chicago Area 240sx

Since 2006.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

deciding what engine

Go down 
+9
slidewayz240sx
Nachtmensch
FusionR300zx
Nackers
s14rob
pmbassist
A-Town-SR
Atown 240
Dirty Dee
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Chose your destiny
RB25DET
deciding what engine - Page 2 Vote_lcap27%deciding what engine - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 27% [ 4 ]
CA18DET
deciding what engine - Page 2 Vote_lcap33%deciding what engine - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 33% [ 5 ]
KA24ET
deciding what engine - Page 2 Vote_lcap40%deciding what engine - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 40% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 15

AuthorMessage
FusionR300zx
Post Whore
Post Whore
FusionR300zx

Number of posts : 3248
Vehicle : 1997 240sx 1993 300zx 2+2

deciding what engine - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: deciding what engine   deciding what engine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 23rd 2006, 2:52 am

buy the KA-T parts seperately.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/aricwithana
Nachtmensch
whatever
whatever
Nachtmensch

Number of posts : 11764
Vehicle : MRS, IS350

PostSubject: Re: deciding what engine   deciding what engine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 23rd 2006, 2:56 am

Rotay ftw king
Back to top Go down
Dirty Dee
Post Whore
Post Whore
Dirty Dee

Number of posts : 3781
Vehicle : 2012 WRX

PostSubject: Re: deciding what engine   deciding what engine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 24th 2006, 7:11 pm

there's no replacement for displacement, so I am going to take the KA-T route. If I can find a dohc motor and a harness, I will atleast swap that in, otherwise, turbo the single
Back to top Go down
slidewayz240sx
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster

Number of posts : 162
Vehicle : 1995 Nissan 240sx

PostSubject: Re: deciding what engine   deciding what engine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 24th 2006, 9:18 pm

Honestly, KA is cheaper and you can get some kickass power.. but in the end its not as reliable and you end up spending more money and time than you honestly would want to. My friend did a KADE-T and carrys a 260 peice tool set in his trunk labled "KA-T repair kit". His shit breaks all the time. SR20DET is more reliable and is pretty much a direct drop in like the CA, the only reason i wouldnt go CA is just the displacement...but to each his own.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/nick_byers
A-Town-SR
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
A-Town-SR

Number of posts : 1423
Vehicle : SR 240sx (hatch)

PostSubject: Re: deciding what engine   deciding what engine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 24th 2006, 10:48 pm

If you can get a good deal on the ka I say go that route but I still think itd be cheaper to go the sr route what kinda of numbers are you looking for because if its around 300 or so Id say sr for the win. From what Ive been told the ka is capable of 400+ but if your looking for somewhere in the 300 range id say sr for sure
Back to top Go down
Dirty Dee
Post Whore
Post Whore
Dirty Dee

PostSubject: Re: deciding what engine   deciding what engine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2006, 12:06 am

A-Town-SR wrote:
If you can get a good deal on the ka I say go that route but I still think itd be cheaper to go the sr route what kinda of numbers are you looking for because if its around 300 or so Id say sr for the win. From what Ive been told the ka is capable of 400+ but if your looking for somewhere in the 300 range id say sr for sure

i am looking for something around ~300 whp. But i am also looking for something with a good balance between torque and horsepower. I already found some harnesses for the dohc ka on ebay, and I am going to probably pick up an engine from victory auto wreckers. They said $300 with a 1 year warranty i think. so next time i come home for the weekend i am probably going to pick it up.
Back to top Go down
undesiredshoe
Fucking Noob
Fucking Noob
undesiredshoe

Number of posts : 87
Vehicle : 240sx

PostSubject: Re: deciding what engine   deciding what engine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2006, 3:57 pm

A-Town-SR wrote:

dude....for 300hp, the ka is a better bang for the buck. Put it this way, $2500 for a swap and you have 190hp. Plus another $2000 for turbo and tuning to maybe make 300hp. Take $4500 and turbo the ka and make a ka-t with alots of power.
Back to top Go down
Dirty Dee
Post Whore
Post Whore
Dirty Dee

PostSubject: Re: deciding what engine   deciding what engine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2006, 5:57 pm

I am actually thinking about sticking with the KA24E b/c its not like i am going to be shooting for huge amounts of power, and i read on ka-t.org that it is so much easier to tune a sohc.
Back to top Go down
slidewayz240sx
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster

PostSubject: Re: deciding what engine   deciding what engine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2006, 9:02 pm

Just make sure you factor in reliability, turboing the KA which was not meant to be turbo'd will probably give you lots of trouble down the road. its an old ass engine and just has trouble holding boost. If you do plan on going KA you might want to look into getting a full KA rebuild kit first...
Back to top Go down
Dirty Dee
Post Whore
Post Whore
Dirty Dee

PostSubject: Re: deciding what engine   deciding what engine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2006, 9:50 pm

slidewayz240sx wrote:
Just make sure you factor in reliability, turboing the KA which was not meant to be turbo'd will probably give you lots of trouble down the road. its an old ass engine and just has trouble holding boost. If you do plan on going KA you might want to look into getting a full KA rebuild kit first...

now... this is the great part... I bought this car with a rebuilt engine Cool . But, I might have to get lower compression pistons so there will be less chance of predetonation. I am pretty sure the 89' cam with 9.0:1 compression?
Back to top Go down
Mr.BackFire
Established Member
Established Member
Mr.BackFire

Number of posts : 555
Vehicle : 240sx se

PostSubject: Re: deciding what engine   deciding what engine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 25th 2006, 11:26 pm

Does anyone ever wonder what the guys over at japan think of people here who turbo chare truck motors?(KA)
Back to top Go down
Nackers
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
Nackers

Number of posts : 1609
Vehicle : 03 350z and 89 Hatch

PostSubject: Re: deciding what engine   deciding what engine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2006, 9:33 pm

I actually just had that conversation with someone... if I ever lived in Japan, I'd import a KA and turbo it....
Back to top Go down
http://nackersdrift.com
A-Town-SR
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
A-Town-SR

PostSubject: Re: deciding what engine   deciding what engine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2006, 9:38 pm

Im still curious why the sr wasnt in the pole. I mean cmon without the sr this seems a bit bias
Back to top Go down
Dirty Dee
Post Whore
Post Whore
Dirty Dee

PostSubject: Re: deciding what engine   deciding what engine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 26th 2006, 11:06 pm

the SR is a nice engine, but, because of the high demand for it, companies are selling them for too much. I got quoted by a guy on NICO for a complete CA18DET motorset for $1300. Most places are asking +3K for SR. I also could have gotten the RB for 2300 shipped.

either way, I think i am probably going to turbo my single since the potential is almost as high as the DE and as stated before, easier to tune.

but, if someone takes me for a spin in an SR, I might think about it if me likey.
Back to top Go down
A-Town-SR
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
A-Town-SR

PostSubject: Re: deciding what engine   deciding what engine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2006, 12:15 am

I guess I'm just used to the sr seeing as I havent ridden in anything else besides a ka if anyone gets there hands on a ca or rb let me know im down for a spin
Back to top Go down
Nachtmensch
whatever
whatever
Nachtmensch

PostSubject: Re: deciding what engine   deciding what engine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2006, 12:31 am

A-Town-SR wrote:
I guess I'm just used to the sr seeing as I havent ridden in anything else besides a ka if anyone gets there hands on a ca or rb let me know im down for a spin
i drove a CA18det s13 with a boost leak. once it spooled, it was pretty quick. hard to compare seeing as the enourmous amounts of lag when the turbo isnt bolted on tightly...

CA18's tend to spin main bearings, iirc. if i was ever to have a CA18, itd start with a full teardown and rebuild. new bearings, machined everything, everything balenced, reinforced, and perfect.

im still leaning towards a FD3S 13B-REW rotary motor for my s13 though. ~100lbs lighter than a SR20, lower center of gravity, more engine compartment room for a V mount (radiator and IC), and about 250 hp stock. (230ish to the wheels). just requires: custom mounts, custom driveshaft, stand-alone management, custom plumbing and wiring. not too bad to do.
Back to top Go down
A-Town-SR
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
A-Town-SR

PostSubject: Re: deciding what engine   deciding what engine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2006, 12:34 am

Yea that isnt to bad especially for the pay off. Rotary 240=sex. Im yet to see one but Id imagine itd be quite original is it done much. Because I have never even seen pics of something like that
Back to top Go down
Nachtmensch
whatever
whatever
Nachtmensch

PostSubject: Re: deciding what engine   deciding what engine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2006, 12:42 am

a guy in austrailia
deciding what engine - Page 2 12if
deciding what engine - Page 2 21dy

one of my favs.

out of the choices you gave, id vote for the KA24E-T. ive been reading up on that idea as well for my 89. lower CP ratio over the KA24DE seems to be a good plan. the one thing that i heard people have problems with is finding a turbo manifold. a lot of the E-T guys end up making their own (the exhaust grouping sucks as opposed to the spaced out ports liek the DE). its deffinately possible, but i havent seen any dynos on the E-T motors. fuck, if the KA24E blows, buy a KA24DE and get a new turbo manifold. piping should be pretty much the same. (may have to change where it meets the turbo and the TB). if youre on a budget, id stick with the KA24E and turbo that. Smile
Back to top Go down
Jesse
Graduated Hipster
Graduated Hipster
Jesse

Number of posts : 611

PostSubject: Re: deciding what engine   deciding what engine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2006, 8:27 am

RB Nuff said, ive driven James, and even got to drift it, it was fun and handled well extra weight where?? i didnt feel it
Back to top Go down
Dirty Dee
Post Whore
Post Whore
Dirty Dee

PostSubject: Re: deciding what engine   deciding what engine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2006, 10:43 am

dc2_lsvtec wrote:
out of the choices you gave, id vote for the KA24E-T. ive been reading up on that idea as well for my 89. lower CP ratio over the KA24DE seems to be a good plan. the one thing that i heard people have problems with is finding a turbo manifold. a lot of the E-T guys end up making their own (the exhaust grouping sucks as opposed to the spaced out ports liek the DE). its deffinately possible, but i havent seen any dynos on the E-T motors. fuck, if the KA24E blows, buy a KA24DE and get a new turbo manifold. piping should be pretty much the same. (may have to change where it meets the turbo and the TB). if youre on a budget, id stick with the KA24E and turbo that. Smile

They actually make a log turbo manifold and an equal length one for the E-T. KA-T.org has a ton of people that ahve singles turboed, and it seems like they are not haveing a problem with higher power.
Back to top Go down
A-Town-SR
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
A-Town-SR

PostSubject: Re: deciding what engine   deciding what engine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2006, 12:05 pm

I say get the dohc I just here they are alot more reliable is all
Back to top Go down
Dirty Dee
Post Whore
Post Whore
Dirty Dee

PostSubject: Re: deciding what engine   deciding what engine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2006, 1:21 pm

I dont see why the single would be less reliable. only difference is one less cam, 4 less valves and it doesnt have oil squirters. I havent read anything about reliablility yet. post some threads if you know of any that talk about it, and I will check it out or search myself after my two exams tonight.
Back to top Go down
A-Town-SR
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
A-Town-SR

PostSubject: Re: deciding what engine   deciding what engine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2006, 2:31 pm

I guess its not reliability but if you search nico there just seems like so many problems with leaks and what not but hey maybe they just have lemons. I also was wondering why most sohc owners go dohc?
Back to top Go down
Nackers
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
Nackers

Number of posts : 1609
Vehicle : 03 350z and 89 Hatch

PostSubject: Re: deciding what engine   deciding what engine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2006, 2:49 pm

Dohc base is like 20hp more. I know what you mean with the timing of Sohc, but as far as tuning... either would be easy. Its pretty much personal prefrence but the way I look at it, turbo sohc is just someone trying to be diffrent imo.

Either way, sohc or dohc, they end up being about the same except I believe the sohc has less torque.
Back to top Go down
http://nackersdrift.com
slidewayz240sx
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster

PostSubject: Re: deciding what engine   deciding what engine - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSeptember 27th 2006, 3:42 pm

Eh 3k for an SR motorset? Where are you looking? is that 3k swapped? If its 3k for a motorset then you must be looking in the wrong places...ive seen full SR front clips for less than 2500......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: deciding what engine   deciding what engine - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

deciding what engine
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next