Chicago Area 240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chicago Area 240sx

Since 2006.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Gauge Clusterfucker

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Teo
Forum Frequenter
Forum Frequenter
Teo

Number of posts : 433
Vehicle : Nissan Stanza

Gauge Clusterfucker Empty
PostSubject: Gauge Clusterfucker   Gauge Clusterfucker Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2011, 10:52 am

My brother put a dohc in a sohc car, used a dohc harness and sohc cluster. Everything on the cluster should work except the tach. Nothing worked at all, not even lights. Replaced the tcu, now the lights and gas gauge work. I'm going to replace the tach later, but why does nothing else work? I've searched this topic to find plenty of fools who can't figure out the tach, but I already know why that wouldn't work. Any ideas why coolant temp and speed wouldn't work? I hate posting these kind of horseshit questions, but I could really use some ideas.
Back to top Go down
Specter
WALLA WALLA WASHINGTON!!!!!!!!
Specter

Number of posts : 2505
Vehicle : '89 Piggy Coupe

PostSubject: Re: Gauge Clusterfucker   Gauge Clusterfucker Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2011, 11:44 am

you have to modify a DOHC tach to fit into the SOHC cluster. no other way
Back to top Go down
flaps
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster
flaps

Number of posts : 177
Vehicle : 89 snatchback

PostSubject: Re: Gauge Clusterfucker   Gauge Clusterfucker Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2011, 11:52 am

should've just swapped the cluster and modded ur dash harness. took 10 mins. works like a champ.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hotlipskerry
Teo
Forum Frequenter
Forum Frequenter
Teo

PostSubject: Re: Gauge Clusterfucker   Gauge Clusterfucker Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2011, 12:01 pm

What on the dash harness needs to be modified? If I swap clusters, I will use an analog type. The connectors are the same I believe, so I would just need to move the pins in the connectors? I have no idea..
Back to top Go down
Specter
Specter

Number of posts : 2505
Vehicle : '89 Piggy Coupe

PostSubject: Re: Gauge Clusterfucker   Gauge Clusterfucker Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2011, 12:02 pm

hence why i just swapped tachs, it takes just the same amount of work [i.e. pulling the cluster] all you have to do is shorten the needle of the DOHC tach by 1/4th an inch so it fits in the SOHC surround

Back to top Go down
Teo
Forum Frequenter
Forum Frequenter
Teo

PostSubject: Re: Gauge Clusterfucker   Gauge Clusterfucker Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2011, 12:09 pm

Oh that's much easier. What would fix my temp gauge/speed though? Everything in the cluster should work except the tach until I do that, right? As of right now, only the gas gauge works.
Back to top Go down
DJ Longdick
DS! DS! DS!
DS! DS! DS!
DJ Longdick

Number of posts : 4358
Vehicle : D*Squad 86

PostSubject: Re: Gauge Clusterfucker   Gauge Clusterfucker Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2011, 12:48 pm

SPEKTORZZ wrote:
hence why i just swapped tachs, it takes just the same amount of work [i.e. pulling the cluster] all you have to do is shorten the needle of the DOHC tach by 1/4th an inch so it fits in the SOHC surround

you're an idiot. he KNOWS why his tach doesnt work. He's asking why everything ELSE doesnt work.

anyways, check your fuses.

oh, and you can swap in a dohc tach without modifying anything.
Back to top Go down
Teo
Forum Frequenter
Forum Frequenter
Teo

PostSubject: Re: Gauge Clusterfucker   Gauge Clusterfucker Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2011, 2:36 pm

I checked the fuses yesterday when the tcm was fixed and everything was ok. All that did was fix the lights.

I have a busted dohc cluster that I can take the tach from tonight. But maybe my original cluster is just bad? Cause nothing else works but fuel gauge..

We picked up the car non running so I have no idea if the original cluster that's in it ever worked in the first place. So maybe I will need just to get a known working analog dohc cluster? What wiring do I need to modify for that to work?
Back to top Go down
flaps
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster
flaps

Number of posts : 177
Vehicle : 89 snatchback

PostSubject: Re: Gauge Clusterfucker   Gauge Clusterfucker Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2011, 5:05 pm

**copied from Zilvia**

this is what i used when i did mine. simple enough. hope it helps you out man

Wiring:
F'ing SIMPLE.
1. Locate the body harness (under dash harness that attached to the ECU) that attached to your old harness. Cut the old connector off (the one that attached to your SOHC harness) and attach your DOHC body harness connector. Just match the colors! There will be some wires left over. These are for the SOHC's diagnostic plug, and are unnecessary. Please note: Your car will NOT be able to hook up to a CONSULT tool. To accomplish this, you must get a body harness with all the correct DOHC wiring. This is why we cut the body harness connector off, and not the engine harness connector.
2. I recommend using a soldering iron, shrink tubing and electrical tape as opposed to butt connectors. It makes for a much cleaner job, and a cleaner electrical signal.
3. You need to swap out your tach if you want one that works. No wiring is involved, but it must be done. Simply pull your combination meter (gauge cluster) and remove the three screws behind the tach. Lift and separate. Installation is reverse of removal.
4. You should also extend the wires that go to the PS line sensor and connect that to your subharness. It's not necessary, but it's a good
idea.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hotlipskerry
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gauge Clusterfucker   Gauge Clusterfucker Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gauge Clusterfucker
Page 1 of 1