Chicago Area 240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chicago Area 240sx

Since 2006.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

messed up LSD

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
hs13kls
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
hs13kls

Number of posts : 1053
Vehicle : 1991 black coupe

messed up LSD Empty
PostSubject: messed up LSD   messed up LSD Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2007, 10:59 am

so i just bought a 240..and i go change the oil.come to find out. i dont find metal shavings..i find teeth from the ring gear and pinion.its a nismo 2-way. i was wondering if anyone knows on what to do.because the guy that i bought it from said he didnt know about it. i just thought the lsd was being chatty.but it was loud as hell. but i really need some help since i cant really drive the car now.if anyone knows what to do that i would appreciate it. oh and the lsd itself isnt messed up, IE the casing and stuff. its just the gears ill put pictures up later tomrrow if i have time
Back to top Go down
http://www.leagueltd.com
Jay
Newb friendly
Newb friendly
Jay

Number of posts : 1432
Vehicle : S13 Garage Slut & S14 Daily Whore

messed up LSD Empty
PostSubject: Re: messed up LSD   messed up LSD Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2007, 11:51 am

I'm willing to bet that the kid you got it from didn't set backlash and thats the reason shit broke.

new ring and pinion, no way around it. go for 4.3 or 4.6 if you're into the dori dori thing.
you can't just replace one w.o the other.
than set the backlash, if you don't set it right, you'll end up where you're at now.
but in the end - your diff will be love you.

just out of curiosity - how much you paid?

EDIT:
Take some photos of the carnage.
Back to top Go down
hs13kls
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
hs13kls

messed up LSD Empty
PostSubject: Re: messed up LSD   messed up LSD Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2007, 11:55 am

paid 4K for it. but he is helping me out with the car and stuff. and yea. i mean i think i paid i too much for it. since the lsd needs to get that stuff replaced..but he is helping me on it.

and do you know know how much a pinion and ring gear is... nissan quoted me for 600
Back to top Go down
hs13kls
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
hs13kls

messed up LSD Empty
PostSubject: Re: messed up LSD   messed up LSD Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2007, 12:09 pm

okay so i looked...do you k now if the ring gear and pinion gear can be like ordered..im trying to word this better.um....can i put a factory ring and pinion gear in the lsd.even though its an aftermarket. nismo lsd.
Back to top Go down
lopez6558
Forum Frequenter
Forum Frequenter
lopez6558

Number of posts : 321
Vehicle : 95 240sx coupe/96 240sx coupe

messed up LSD Empty
PostSubject: Re: messed up LSD   messed up LSD Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2007, 12:14 pm

take some pics to see how bad it really is.
Back to top Go down
http://grimcreations.weebly.com/
Nachtmensch
whatever
whatever
Nachtmensch

Number of posts : 11764
Vehicle : MRS, IS350

messed up LSD Empty
PostSubject: Re: messed up LSD   messed up LSD Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2007, 12:26 pm

hs13kls wrote:
okay so i looked...do you k now if the ring gear and pinion gear can be like ordered..im trying to word this better.um....can i put a factory ring and pinion gear in the lsd.even though its an aftermarket. nismo lsd.
yes, nismo LSD's use the factory ring and pinion. its just the carrier that is changed.
Back to top Go down
Jay
Newb friendly
Newb friendly
Jay

messed up LSD Empty
PostSubject: Re: messed up LSD   messed up LSD Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2007, 1:14 pm

hs13kls wrote:
paid 4K for it. but he is helping me out with the car and stuff. and yea. i mean i think i paid i too much for it. since the lsd needs to get that stuff replaced..but he is helping me on it.

and do you know know how much a pinion and ring gear is... nissan quoted me for 600
was it the guy from Mundelein that's selling his wheels too? tonedef IIRC?

And I guess I misread the first post as I thought you just bought the diff seperate. I sold my S14 for around 4K, so yeah its kinda up there, but it all depends on mods and frame rails. LOL

As far as replacing ring/pinion, you have to get a them both and replace them at the same time. Yes, use Nissan parts - thats the way its designed. The ring unbolts form the LSD itself, but I would highly suggest getting it to someone who knows about diffs. replacing ring/pinion and all the bearings and setting the backlash isn't for someone who's never done it before, and chances of you getting it wrong are big as you don't know what you're doing (neither does the guy who's helping you as this wouldn't be an issue if he did) Not trying to insult/belittle you or anything, just trying to save you the hassle of fixing same shit twice.

as a backup option, look for someone who has an open diff for sale (50-100bux) - get their carrier, swap out the open for LSD and set backlash (at a shop!)

And take some pics, pretty please.
Back to top Go down
hs13kls
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
hs13kls

messed up LSD Empty
PostSubject: Re: messed up LSD   messed up LSD Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2007, 2:21 pm

^^no offence taken.shit.i have worked on lsd's for a total 5mins. i know how hey work but this is more TECH than i can handle for right now. they thanks a lot guys i think it should be fixed in the next day or so
Back to top Go down
hs13kls
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
hs13kls

messed up LSD Empty
PostSubject: Re: messed up LSD   messed up LSD Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2007, 8:59 pm

messed up LSD Image

the teeth where i found them in the diff

messed up LSD Imagejpg2

the actual teeth
[/img]
Back to top Go down
hs13kls
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
hs13kls

messed up LSD Empty
PostSubject: Re: messed up LSD   messed up LSD Icon_minitimeOctober 24th 2007, 9:00 pm

that was from a day ago i think tomrrow night ill be able to pull it apart and see whats up..also what im mainly concerened about is that wheni pull the diff off.and have my mech.friend do it. im afraid of one of those metal gears might have gotten tossed around into the nismo lsd itself and messed up that. if thats the case. that 800 dollar 2way is junk.
Back to top Go down
Jay
Newb friendly
Newb friendly
Jay

messed up LSD Empty
PostSubject: Re: messed up LSD   messed up LSD Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2007, 3:18 am

take better pic, those are blurry as hell Sad

Also take a pic of the ring gear on the LSD

Thanks
Back to top Go down
hs13kls
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
hs13kls

messed up LSD Empty
PostSubject: Re: messed up LSD   messed up LSD Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2007, 9:57 am

sorry the palm treo 700 has a terrible camera. ha. um but at 1050 so in like an hour im getting it done at the shop and ill have new pics up soon
Back to top Go down
hs13kls
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
hs13kls

messed up LSD Empty
PostSubject: Re: messed up LSD   messed up LSD Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2007, 4:08 pm

so i bought new ring gears pinion gears. 2 side seals and the top seal.(all new seals)and the ring bearing.and the 2 pinion bearings.but they dont come in till tomorrow from nissan....yes im sure you can amagine it cost a pretty penny.but we found out the teeth are from the pinion gear in my car. and the loudness is from the crazy backlash(because of the lost teeth)so i just have to drive it easy for a couple days when i can get one of my tech friends to do it for me.then run some 80-90 weight royal purple(unless you guys have suggestions) and it should be perfect.ill update in a few days
Back to top Go down
Jay
Newb friendly
Newb friendly
Jay

messed up LSD Empty
PostSubject: Re: messed up LSD   messed up LSD Icon_minitimeOctober 25th 2007, 4:54 pm

you got that backwards
you lost teeth because of backlash.

but yeah - go watch them rebuild a diff - if they didn't use anything to measure backlash and/or re-used your old spacers - your shit isn't done right.
New pinion depth will affect everything - I bet you don't want to pay that Nissan bill twice.
Back to top Go down
hs13kls
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
hs13kls

messed up LSD Empty
PostSubject: Re: messed up LSD   messed up LSD Icon_minitimeOctober 26th 2007, 9:22 am

^^ahhh okay,well im not the one goign to mess with it. but since you basically said i have no idea what im doing ha. which is true i have been reading up on how the basics work. my friend will do it at his dads shop when him and his dad get back from putnum park. he knows how to set it. he stilll havent pulled mine off becasue i decided just to buy all new bearings. all new seals and everything so i only have to do this once.im afraid to drive my car becasue i dont want to break anymore teeth. but yea im willing to bet who ever put in the lsd before me doesnt know what he was doing. im not saying mike from Mundelein did it. the guy before him
Back to top Go down
Jay
Newb friendly
Newb friendly
Jay

messed up LSD Empty
PostSubject: Re: messed up LSD   messed up LSD Icon_minitimeOctober 26th 2007, 9:51 am

well best of luck - but take some better pics.
Back to top Go down
Nachtmensch
whatever
whatever
Nachtmensch

Number of posts : 11764
Vehicle : MRS, IS350

messed up LSD Empty
PostSubject: Re: messed up LSD   messed up LSD Icon_minitimeOctober 26th 2007, 10:19 am

yeah some where we can atleast see whats going on Laughing

good luck on the install thumb up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

messed up LSD Empty
PostSubject: Re: messed up LSD   messed up LSD Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

messed up LSD
Page 1 of 1