Chicago Area 240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chicago Area 240sx

Since 2006.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

switching shock absorbers front to back

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Cyclohexyl Coupe
Forum Frequenter
Forum Frequenter
Cyclohexyl Coupe

Number of posts : 294
Vehicle : 92 coupe

switching  shock absorbers front to back Empty
PostSubject: switching shock absorbers front to back   switching  shock absorbers front to back Icon_minitimeMarch 17th 2013, 7:43 pm

Bought some coilovers and wanted to make the rear sit lower by stitching the tubes, never done this shit before. I assume it would be under alot of pressure and wanted to change the top hats off them. Any info on how to de-assemble/ reassemble them would be appreciated,Thanks.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Daniel.Villafuerte
D*S Dstar
D*S Dstar

Number of posts : 11254
Vehicle : RED SHARK V1-5, MOBY DICK.

PostSubject: Re: switching shock absorbers front to back   switching  shock absorbers front to back Icon_minitimeMarch 17th 2013, 9:21 pm

lol. You cant do this with all coilovers, and I dont know what you mean by its under alot of pressure, you aren't opening the fucking strut casing at all ya genius, literally all you are doing is undressing the coilover on your desk down to the strut body, this can all be done with just spanners, and use an impact to undo the top nut, the camber plates come off, but you aint doing shit to the damper assembly itself.
Back to top Go down
https://chicagoarea240sx.editboard.com
Maikeru
Forum Frequenter
Forum Frequenter
Maikeru

Number of posts : 200
Vehicle : 89 coupe

PostSubject: Re: switching shock absorbers front to back   switching  shock absorbers front to back Icon_minitimeMarch 17th 2013, 9:41 pm

I'm assuming you're thinking the springs will be under pressure....I hope. Just thread the collars down so the spring has no preload.
Back to top Go down
Cyclohexyl Coupe
Forum Frequenter
Forum Frequenter
Cyclohexyl Coupe

Number of posts : 294
Vehicle : 92 coupe

PostSubject: Re: switching shock absorbers front to back   switching  shock absorbers front to back Icon_minitimeMarch 17th 2013, 9:52 pm

No i thought maybe the top bolt around the dampening part could be under pressure. I always just sat it to as low as my old emotors went and never fucked with anything else. Just wanted to make sure that by taking the bolt off the top to switch plates. Not fucking with the dampening at all thanks for clearfying that mess for me its appreciated.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Daniel.Villafuerte
Matej
Oh, the IRONY!
Oh, the IRONY!

Number of posts : 476

PostSubject: Re: switching shock absorbers front to back   switching  shock absorbers front to back Icon_minitimeMarch 17th 2013, 10:32 pm

With most coilovers doing that will not work, because the rods or whatever the things sticking out of the damper that go in and out are of different diameters. The main difference is usually the part of the rod that slides into the top mount pillow ball bearing.

Not to mention, on pretty much all S13 coilovers, the front dampers are actually longer than the rears. It is just the rear lower mounts that make the rears look longer.

However, you could get the rear dampers for a different car (from the same coilover brand of course), as long as they use a similar style.
Miata ones would probably be the shortest, and they usually have the same valving as the 240SX applications. Though whether they will be a direct fit or not is a gamble and depends on how universal the specific brand makes their coilovers.

I had my rear lower mounts milled out to make the dampers thread in lower.
Back to top Go down
http://www.matejblahut.com
D*S Dstar
D*S Dstar

Number of posts : 11254
Vehicle : RED SHARK V1-5, MOBY DICK.

PostSubject: Re: switching shock absorbers front to back   switching  shock absorbers front to back Icon_minitimeMarch 17th 2013, 11:14 pm

He can do it with his. He was just being a fucktard for a second about some dumb shit. I do that shit all the time.
Back to top Go down
https://chicagoarea240sx.editboard.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: switching shock absorbers front to back   switching  shock absorbers front to back Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

switching shock absorbers front to back
Page 1 of 1