Chicago Area 240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chicago Area 240sx

Since 2006.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

hey guys

Go down 
+3
gOtPUrPL3
Dirty Dee
NiteRdr
7 posters
AuthorMessage
NiteRdr
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster

Number of posts : 104

hey guys Empty
PostSubject: hey guys   hey guys Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2008, 11:55 am

hey everybody my name is Mike. Im new here and am about to pick up a 1991 240sx this wednesday. Im 18 and live in Lombard Illinois and am actually graduating in a couple of weeks (thank god).

I've always loved 240's and finally get a chance to own one. Hopefully we can get together sometime and have a meet!

Here's some pics of the car. its on Zilvia.net. i have the cash in hand and the guy is holding on to it for me till i take the 6 hour drive to southern illinois. what do you guys think? i think its a good deal...but either way im still buying it. Cant Wait!!! cheers woot!
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=185127
Back to top Go down
Dirty Dee
Post Whore
Post Whore
Dirty Dee

Number of posts : 3781
Vehicle : 2012 WRX

hey guys Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey guys   hey guys Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2008, 12:09 pm

welcome
Back to top Go down
gOtPUrPL3
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
gOtPUrPL3

Number of posts : 1493
Vehicle : 240sx

hey guys Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey guys   hey guys Icon_minitimeMay 10th 2008, 3:49 pm

you could do better than a s13 rb20 for 5k i wouldnt do it.you better think before you spend your money
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/xdabsx
NiteRdr
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster

hey guys Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey guys   hey guys Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2008, 12:18 am

really? i thought it was a great deal...i dont know man. ive been so back and forth with this thing its unbelievable. ive read up good and bad things about them but im only gonna pay $4600. i know the SR swap is lighter and more accessible to parts but its so hard to find a clean one in illinois. i know you guys dont spoon feed and im all up for that. we dont do that at the forum im at now. but i was hoping for some more outside perspective. this is my first time buying a 240 let alone a turbo motor car. can i please get some quick feedback before monday so i can let him know ahead of time im not coming?
Back to top Go down
Specter
WALLA WALLA WASHINGTON!!!!!!!!
WALLA WALLA WASHINGTON!!!!!!!!
Specter

Number of posts : 2505
Vehicle : '89 Piggy Coupe

hey guys Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey guys   hey guys Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2008, 12:24 am

why anyone would spend money on a 2.0L I6 is beyond me...

woo go pistons the size of silver dollars
Back to top Go down
Nachtmensch
whatever
whatever
Nachtmensch

Number of posts : 11764
Vehicle : MRS, IS350

hey guys Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey guys   hey guys Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2008, 12:52 am

Specter wrote:
why anyone would spend money on a 2.0L I6 is beyond me...

woo go pistons the size of silver dollars
it could be fun to make a high revving one. knife edged crank, foged pistons, H beam rods, lightest flywheel i could find, gt28rs or whatever, some cams and springs, and an RB26 ITB intake manifold or head or something (i believe it fits the RB20... not positive)

i dont know a lot about RB's, but im sure it could be pretty fun. its be like a CA18 with more power. (come to think of it, i think the RB20 and CA18 share some parts)

anyway, welcome to the site. have fun building whatever you end up with
Back to top Go down
D*S Dstar
D*S Dstar

Number of posts : 11254
Vehicle : RED SHARK V1-5, MOBY DICK.

hey guys Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey guys   hey guys Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2008, 1:14 am

Gee, maybe one day soon will get a new member that actually OWNS a 240.
No offense to you niterdr but lately weve had a horde of dudes joining that dont even OWN an S chassis.
Anyway, let me say, RB20 has got to be the stupidest piece of shit ever. End of story. I swear to god id rather have an NA ka than one of those. Same for CA. For 5k you can probably get an SR swapped s13. Heres what i dont understand...if you have 5k, then why dont you just buy a STOCK s13 and build one yourself?
People who buy pre-built cars are a joke.
Back to top Go down
https://chicagoarea240sx.editboard.com
NiteRdr
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster

hey guys Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey guys   hey guys Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2008, 1:44 am

sorry about the load of users without 240's youre getting...i hope i can change that?.. anyway..

i see where youre coming from. but heres my reasoning. im going off to college this fall and since ive always wanted a 240, i saw this and decided to jump on it (good thing i didnt yet after what ive read/heard). i cant afford so much to build my own 240 even tho id like to, because of the funding that will be involved. see, im taking the money out of my school savings, and in return i will sell my current car to return that money. my thinking was that id rather have a running, functional 240 with sr or rb that i wouldnt have to spend so much time on. AND, id also have a car to use, yay! it would bee my DD/ weekend fun if i ever had the chance, so i cant afford to not have a car.

i figured this was a good deal because the car is complete and looks clean and i thought the RB was better than the SR. after reading up and Specter setting me straight, i dont think im going this route anymore. im just gonna pass and keep looking.
Back to top Go down
D*S Dstar
D*S Dstar

hey guys Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey guys   hey guys Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2008, 2:02 am

You make a good point with the buying a pre-built car. I suppose that in some circumstances, it makes the most sense.
The whole RB OMGZZZ so much better then ess arrrrrr thing is the biggest fucking fanboy thing ever. I swear to god every fanboy has a hard on for shitty RB's. RB20's are gay for obvious reasons, RB25 is okay i guess but itd never do that shit either.
Only RB worth doing is 26 in my opinion. Id much rather have a KAT than RB. But SR is just so fucking easy, and makes so much fucking sense. Their so easy to make good power on, totally strong and reliable unless your a retard. SOoo easy to find parts for. Blah blah.

Theres a decent KAT fastback for sale in out marketplace section. Internally built ka with some crazy top mount turbo on it. Buy that instead, OR, just get a ka car and put some coilovers, links, GOOD FITMENT wheels, diff and seat in it and have some fucking fun at drift events, autocrosses, lapping days and such. NA KA is great to learn on.
Back to top Go down
NiteRdr
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster

hey guys Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey guys   hey guys Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2008, 2:52 am

haha, after specter reamed me out i also finally understand the whole thing about the RB and SR difference. honestly, im so glad i posted up here before it was too late. the car has electrical problems so im sure that wasnt a good sign either.

as for a stock KA i think that may be the case at this point but i may also hit up gotpurple for a car. maybe he can build me one Wink. i have done some autocross before with my current car and was actually preparing it to be a weekend track car. i dont think thats so much the case anymore. and as for the turbo KA goes, i saw it and am actually really turned on by it. gave me a major boner, seriously. but not to again sound like the typical stereotyper i was told the KA's dont handle boost so well. sure they are really good underdogs and prove people wrong, but unless you build the internals/motor, wouldnt it be more prone to blow? (even if boost is set low)...

edit: just saw it was internally built. hmmmm.... unsure
Back to top Go down
D*S Dstar
D*S Dstar

hey guys Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey guys   hey guys Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2008, 2:56 am

Ka is great candidate for boost as long as you keep the boost to a sane level and have some good fuel going to it. You can have between 250-300 whp on stock internals. 250-260whp is way more than enough to have fun with in an S chassis. Enough to rip some 17x9's up with ease.

For the record, the one their selling in the marketplace puts down 365whp.
Back to top Go down
NiteRdr
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster

hey guys Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey guys   hey guys Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2008, 3:08 am

yup i saw that. and i wouldnt boost the car more than it needed to. it would still be my dd so i dont want to kill the poor thing. and it was tuned to 365rwhp on 20lbs of boost. does that mean the car can SAFELY run that amount of boost for a few days without doing major damage? (not that i ever will but just checking), im sure if i turn that down itl be less horsepower which is fine. sounds silly i know, but i want to make sure since ive never personally dealt with turbo applications.

oh and 250-300 on stock internals sounds yummy...

anyway, the car is slightly out of my ideal price range but i may consider it...
Back to top Go down
D*S Dstar
D*S Dstar

hey guys Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey guys   hey guys Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2008, 3:23 am

I wouldnt run 20psi on the street. Id probably keep it around 15psi or so for around 300whp. Still way more than enough.
You should ride in an S chassis with 200-250whp. Alot faster than you would think. And alot faster than most other cars at that power level.
Back to top Go down
dwvinny
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster

Number of posts : 116

hey guys Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey guys   hey guys Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2008, 9:21 am

20 lbs ofboost on stock ka!!?!?!?!.....it aint gonna last long.. as far as buying a prebuilt car if you dont know the seller personally or your not a mechanic your taking a risk . my advise would be find a decent running car for cheap get some decent wheels ,upgrade suspension,maybee a few bolt ons for the motor, and get comfortable driving it hard ...then start worrying about bigger power
#'s
Back to top Go down
http://destructionwarehouse.com
Dirty Dee
Post Whore
Post Whore
Dirty Dee

Number of posts : 3781
Vehicle : 2012 WRX

hey guys Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey guys   hey guys Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2008, 10:40 am

Nachtmensch wrote:
it could be fun to make a high revving one. knife edged crank, foged pistons, H beam rods, lightest flywheel i could find, gt28rs or whatever, some cams and springs, and an RB26 ITB intake manifold or head or something (i believe it fits the RB20... not positive)

i dont know a lot about RB's, but im sure it could be pretty fun. its be like a CA18 with more power. (come to think of it, i think the RB20 and CA18 share some parts)

anyway, welcome to the site. have fun building whatever you end up with

The rb26 intake manifold actually destroys the powerband when used on the rb20.

And yea sure, the SR has more parts, more write-ups on doing shit to them, and it does have more power. But, pick whichever the fuck engine you want. Its your car.

I have wanted to do the rb20 swap into my car, and its still a possibility for me. The reason I would want to drop the motor into my car is because I love the sound of I-6's. I could care less that the SR is making more hp/litre or more hp/weight of engine. But I will not know what kind of engine I am going to put into my car until I have the funds ready, and it depends on my laziness at that time.

The major downfall of this engine is its age, smaller availability of parts (you have to cross-reference a bunch of parts or search around on the internet better for what you want), and a smaller following than the SR.

And just like everyone said: get a car that is pretty close to stock, your less likely to get problems with it. And learn how that car feels/reacts before you bump up the power
Back to top Go down
D*S Dstar
D*S Dstar

hey guys Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey guys   hey guys Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2008, 12:07 pm

dwvinny wrote:
20 lbs ofboost on stock ka!!?!?!?!.....it aint gonna last long.. as far as buying a prebuilt car if you dont know the seller personally or your not a mechanic your taking a risk . my advise would be find a decent running car for cheap get some decent wheels ,upgrade suspension,maybee a few bolt ons for the motor, and get comfortable driving it hard ...then start worrying about bigger power
#'s

Fucking read before you insert 8 exclamation marks. Were discussing a car currently for sale with Built internals. Not how much boost he should run on a stock bottom end Kat.
Back to top Go down
NiteRdr
Light Duty Poster
Light Duty Poster

hey guys Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey guys   hey guys Icon_minitimeMay 11th 2008, 9:12 pm

haha. thanks for the support and info guys. im still really interested in a 240sx so ill definitely find a way to obtain one and get a swap done. you guys prove lots of good points about the swap already done and potential damage already done to the car (which is common sense) and sadly i didnt think it through before. like i said i was jsut so hyped up about it. anyway i already told the guy i cant buy it so im safe and dont have to worry about that anymore.

also, i originally intended to get an SR 240. i just saw this and figured it might be worth a try. i think ill stick with the SR because once again you guys supported the fact that it is more well known and has supporting mods, therefore slightly easier to diagnose any problems and tune/upgrade it.

thanks for all the help. the search continues...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

hey guys Empty
PostSubject: Re: hey guys   hey guys Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

hey guys
Page 1 of 1