Chicago Area 240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chicago Area 240sx

Since 2006.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Engine Control

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Scuba Steve
Established Member
Established Member
Scuba Steve

Number of posts : 551
Vehicle : '93 S13 with all the Fanboy features!

Engine Control Empty
PostSubject: Engine Control   Engine Control Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2008, 5:42 pm

Ok, I need to know about the different kind of engine control systems there are. SAFC, an Enthlapy Tune, or something like a Power FC or haltech.

What exactly does an SAFC do? As far as I can tell, it tricks the computer into thinking that the engine requires more fuel so that the Boost can be increased. MAF sensor is required.

What are the details on a Mailorder tune? I know that after you get it, you can't make any changes. If you get another upgrade, you have to get another tune. Not a deal in my opinion. Again, MAF is required.

Lastly, a Power FC by apexi or a Haltech control everything right? From what I read about them, they are the best things to have as far as engine control. But are they really worth it? I was thinking about purchasing the Power FC because then I don't think I would have to deal with any of the other stuff like SAFC or boost controller.

Does anyone care to elaborate and share anything they know?

Jay?? lol. you seem pretty knowledgeable.

Thanks guys
Back to top Go down
Dirty Dee
Post Whore
Post Whore
Dirty Dee

Number of posts : 3781
Vehicle : 2012 WRX

Engine Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Control   Engine Control Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2008, 6:06 pm

standalones are good if you want to set fuel maps, ignition, ect to your likings. They also leave a ton of headroom if you plan on doing major modifications later on.

what are your power goals? (realistic)

reflash might be best if you just plan on keeping a certain setup. but dont take my word, i have no experience with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_Control_Unit

read, read, read some more.

Just search on google about every system that you are thinking of buying and read up on them

megasquirt is a pretty inexpensive standalone for a DIYer
Back to top Go down
Scuba Steve
Established Member
Established Member
Scuba Steve

Engine Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Control   Engine Control Icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2008, 9:43 pm

I have already read about the AFC Neo and the power fc. What I was wondering really is what all is needed with each item.

Do I still need a boost controller with a power fc? I think I do but do I have to get a specific one that works with the power fc?

The AFC Neo looks like it would be a good deal but then I would need a Z32 MAFS to go with it. Should I just go with this type of setup to start with and then upgrade later on?

Realistically I want to make at least 250hp with my setup from the get go. I think that 300 would be quite possible though. Eventually down the line, I would want to make upgrades like a greddy intake and pullies and what not.

I just wanted to see what peoples opinions were of the different options.

(why do I see some cars with 2 safc's?)
Back to top Go down
D*S Dstar
D*S Dstar

Number of posts : 11254
Vehicle : RED SHARK V1-5, MOBY DICK.

Engine Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Control   Engine Control Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2008, 12:33 am

Those arent 2 afc's thats an afc and a boost controller, or a vtec controller, or a million other things that apexi makes that looke the same. Rom tunes leave alot of leeway for future upgrades. You dont have to have a certain type of boost controller no. I dont think you need a z32 maf at all for an afc. Z32 mafs is for when you up the boost past like 14psi and they max out their reading.
Back to top Go down
https://chicagoarea240sx.editboard.com
Jay
Newb friendly
Newb friendly
Jay

Number of posts : 1432
Vehicle : S13 Garage Slut & S14 Daily Whore

Engine Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Control   Engine Control Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2008, 1:23 am

Who is going to tune your ride?
350hp out of 2871arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr is easy.

2871arrrrrr + SAFC = no mo ESSARRR!

Go on Zilvia, there's been some talk lately about this shit. than go and google shit, than go on FreshAlloy and search (DONT YOU DARE FUCKING POST) than go google some more. Come back to this thead in a week and if you don't know the answer still, do this shit untill you do.

Stop asking to be spoonfed this shit, its out there and easily accessible with few clicks.

BTW you get what you pay for.
SAFC<Megasquirt<Mailtune<PowerFC<HaltechE6X<HaltechE8<etc.

Here's some links, go search and read,
http://forums.freshalloy.com
http://www.zilvia.net/f/index.php
Back to top Go down
D*S Dstar
D*S Dstar

Engine Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Control   Engine Control Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2008, 1:27 am

More extra leterzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Hahah, thanks Jay.
Your still a decent dude steve, but you do need to learn some stuff on your own. Like I said before, Join Zilvia and view the build threads and such on Ziptied.
Back to top Go down
Jay
Newb friendly
Newb friendly
Jay

Engine Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Control   Engine Control Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2008, 1:34 am

You can have PowerFC control your boost with the optional boost solenoid. Just makes it easier to have it vs another doodad on the dash.

but it cost as much as standalone boost controller - LOL
Back to top Go down
Scuba Steve
Established Member
Established Member
Scuba Steve

Engine Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Control   Engine Control Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2008, 1:09 am

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/313916

Can you guys give your opinion on this^^^ information?

I thought it was very helpful.
Back to top Go down
Jay
Newb friendly
Newb friendly
Jay

Engine Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Control   Engine Control Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2008, 1:20 am

nico. I give you Zilvia and Freshalloy and you come back with NICO???????

Who is tuning your ride again? you don't know.
Whats your budget? you don't know.
what you want from your car? you don't know.
why use 2871r? you dont know. but since everyone else has one it must be good right?

I officially write you off as a total loss of a clean S13 chassis to a ricer.

Last edited by Jay on April 5th 2008, 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
D*S Dstar
D*S Dstar

Engine Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Control   Engine Control Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2008, 1:26 am

Im not reading ANYTHING that comes from faggot bag of aids nico.
If i wanted Juggalo hillbilly's with megan springs on their rusted 40's id tell you i wanted that.
Back to top Go down
Dirty Dee
Post Whore
Post Whore
Dirty Dee

Number of posts : 3781
Vehicle : 2012 WRX

Engine Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Control   Engine Control Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2008, 1:28 am

man up and by haltech

/thread
Back to top Go down
Scuba Steve
Established Member
Established Member
Scuba Steve

Engine Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Control   Engine Control Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2008, 3:06 am

Jay wrote:

why use 2871r? you dont know. but since everyone else has one it must be good right?

This is exactly right. "I DONT KNOW." That is why I am trying to ask. As it says in my sig, Mesa NOOB.

I haven't looked into anyone around here for tuning. Especially on an Sr.

My budget depends on how long I want to wait to get something. If I think I need to spend the money to get the good shit, I will. If it isn't necessary, then I will buy cheap.

If you say that 350hp is EASY out of a 2871r, then thats what I will go for. I'm getting a 2871r because Eric (white S14) has one for sale with a megan manifold and braided lines for a good price. And because It has more potential than a T25 or other stock turbo. But yes, since many have it, I am assuming it is good.

I also looked on freshalloy and Zilvia. I found some different info that was helpful as well but nothing as close to my question as the thread I found on NICO.

As for the ricer comment, I believe that, in time, you will see that my car will be FAR from ricer status. But hey, Im just a noob and i'm probably talking out of my ass. right?
Back to top Go down
D*S Dstar
D*S Dstar

Engine Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Control   Engine Control Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2008, 3:46 am

Probably, but anyway.
You cant really compare T25 to 2871r AT ALL.
T25 is some junkyard shit that you cant boost more than 12lbs. out of reliably. A 2871R will take you to fucking 400WHP if you play it right. Its no comparison, you seem to be thinking of the 2871R as a plug and play oem replacement a bit too much. You cant really run a 2871R on a piggyback system too reliably. It would seem youd be better pressed to aquire a BB T28 out of an S14 or S15 sr. You can run piggyback on them and they can take you past 300 with cams and good tune easy. Not to mention jumping right into Sr with 2871R to begin with doesnt sound all that good. If i were you, id be content with strong running low mileage S13 Blacktop on boost-up T25 with quality parts. You save money, you learn step by step, and i assure you the car will be plenty fucking fast for you.

Do this.
S13 Blacktop in super clean state
FMIC,Downpipe,3in. exhaust, Tubular exhaust manifold,Greddy intake mani, HKS 264's, Greddy RAS, cometic HG, arp studs, Z32 maf, AFC, 550cc's, and Greddy Profec B,

300whp easy. When your ready just replace the t25 with t28 and your at 335-350.

And thats at sane boost levels.
around 12psi.

Not some fucking crazy insane Aric-spec 16psi on T25 insanity.

Edit: Let me also add this.
I just recently got my s14 SR working in pretty Tip-top shape.
And although i hate drag racing and all that bullshit.
At 7psi on T28 with FMIC,downpipe, testpipe,and exhaust, the car is fucking fast. Like i have bigass heavy wheels in the back and when the boost ramps up in 2nd they get spun like steelies. And not many cars can pull on me on the street. When i decide to turn the boost up to 12psi or so i can pretty much imagine how that shitll rip. Not to mention with Cams and intake and exhaust mani's. No need for 2871R off the bat.
Back to top Go down
Scuba Steve
Established Member
Established Member
Scuba Steve

Engine Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Control   Engine Control Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2008, 4:23 am

Well, I already have a motorset ready to go down at Kasu. Jon is just waiting for me to get the cash for my corolla.

S13 Blacktop - OEM rebuild, clearanced, knife edge crank, balanced
GT2871R turbo - braided lines
Megan Racing manifold
550cc injectors
FMIC
3" exhaust
Apexi or Cosworth HG (I've read that cometics aren't all that great)

This is whats for sure as of now. Not positive what brands I will be buying yet though.

This thread, however, is about tuning, and I am still not positive what I will be going with. Either an Enthalpy Tune or a PFC.

I've read that Enthalpy's are an outstanding way to tune a vehicle. They provide stock like driveability with lots of power to back it up. But, they don't leave much room for change.

I've read that PFC are awesome too. They allow you to play with the tuning on a whim and usually let you get a little more power out of your setup. However, they don't have as good of a daily driveability factor.

I am shooting for high power. The mustang I have now is probably pushing close to 275whp. So a little more than that out of my Sr would be awesome.
Back to top Go down
Jay
Newb friendly
Newb friendly
Jay

Engine Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Control   Engine Control Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2008, 4:25 am

sk_8ersteve wrote:
Jay wrote:

This is exactly right. "I DONT KNOW." That is why I am trying to ask. As it says in my sig, Mesa NOOB.

I haven't looked into anyone around here for tuning. Especially on an Sr.

My budget depends on how long I want to wait to get something. If I think I need to spend the money to get the good shit, I will. If it isn't necessary, then I will buy cheap.

If you say that 350hp is EASY out of a 2871r, then thats what I will go for. I'm getting a 2871r because Eric (white S14) has one for sale with a megan manifold and braided lines for a good price. And because It has more potential than a T25 or other stock turbo. But yes, since many have it, I am assuming it is good.

I also looked on freshalloy and Zilvia. I found some different info that was helpful as well but nothing as close to my question as the thread I found on NICO.

As for the ricer comment, I believe that, in time, you will see that my car will be FAR from ricer status. But hey, Im just a noob and i'm probably talking out of my ass. right?

OK, I know you don't know. but even if you get a baller ass E8, it won't fucking matter if your tuner can't tune it.

Hence, go talk to someone, tell them what you want. untill than you just see shiny go-fast parts and put them on a wishlist. whopee - noone gives a fuck.
Go get your car running in stock. No you don't know what your car can do. Get your shit low, learn the fucking car, spend all your monies in suspension. Go to drift days and DRIVE. Next winter if you still got questions, you won't need to ask them, as you'll realize that the two links I gave you have more info than you can handle. its all there - good and bad.

Do I agree with D about safc - fuck no, but we can talk about that next year.

I'm out
Back to top Go down
Jay
Newb friendly
Newb friendly
Jay

Engine Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Control   Engine Control Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2008, 4:28 am

sk_8ersteve wrote:
Well, I already have a motorset ready to go down at Kasu. Jon is just waiting for me to get the cash for my corolla.

S13 Blacktop - OEM rebuild, clearanced, knife edge crank, balanced
GT2871R turbo - braided lines
Megan Racing manifold
550cc injectors
FMIC
3" exhaust
Apexi or Cosworth HG (I've read that cometics aren't all that great)

This is whats for sure as of now. Not positive what brands I will be buying yet though.

And if you searched even a little, you'd realize that 550ccs won't cut it for 2871arrrrrrrrrrrr, you're maxing them out way too early, and god forbid you want to run 18psi.

thumb down
Back to top Go down
D*S Dstar
D*S Dstar

Engine Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Control   Engine Control Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2008, 4:29 am

A 275whp fox body would get fucking kicked in the face by a 275whp S chassis. Not much comparison. Fuck bench racing though.
Since you already say you have the setup worked out. Fuck it, do it already. I would do enthalpy rom tune honestly, fuck waiting for dynotime and something always goes wrong during tuning.
Back to top Go down
Scuba Steve
Established Member
Established Member
Scuba Steve

Engine Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Control   Engine Control Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2008, 4:50 am

FUCK!!! am i noob. Holy shit.

Thanks for you input Jay. I really do appreciate it.

I know I need to go to DD's and get my shit going at a lower power level. THATS why I think I'm gonna go for the PFC. I can tune the car for about 250hp and LEARN. Seat time is priceless. After I feel comfortable with my skill level, I will be able to get some bigger injectors and up the power output. WITHOUT having to buy another Enthalpy tune.

At this point in time, I am just bored at work and am trying to make useful conversation. Once I actually have the Sr in my car, I will probably be able to ask some better ?'s.

I am not certain that a 275hp fox would get spanked by a 275hp s-chassis, but the s-chassis does weigh less so I'd be open to anything.
Back to top Go down
D*S Dstar
D*S Dstar

Engine Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Control   Engine Control Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2008, 4:58 am

For the most part. S13's are retard fast with little mods. Fusions car was regular boost up t25 redtop and he could rip on modified evo's and Sti's all day long. As well as crazy SRT's and mustangs and what have you. I pulled on my friends Fox body with full bolt on 302 shit.
With waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less horsepower than him. My car probably makes like.....220whp, (probably even less) or so at stock boost. An evo could not catch me on the highway last week. So yeah. And so on and so forth. But like I said, dunno why the fuck were talking about drag racing and dumb shit like that. Shoulda kept that shit Ka if you ask me. Fuck the bullshit.
Back to top Go down
Scuba Steve
Established Member
Established Member
Scuba Steve

Engine Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Control   Engine Control Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2008, 5:17 am

Do you mean that YOU should have kept the KA?

240's are crazy fast cause they are crazy light. I think that they are around 2600 lbs with full interior. Fox's are about 3300 lbs. That makes a big difference in a straight line race considering that every 100 lbs is about 1/10th of a second.
Back to top Go down
Nachtmensch
whatever
whatever
Nachtmensch

Number of posts : 11764
Vehicle : MRS, IS350

Engine Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Control   Engine Control Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2008, 5:30 am

2600lbs is 'crazy light'? eh

i agre with what someone above said. talk to whoever you are going to have tune the car. see what they are most comfortable with and recommend and go with that.
Back to top Go down
D*S Dstar
D*S Dstar

Engine Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Control   Engine Control Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2008, 5:31 am

Nope i meant YOU.
I had Ka for many years. I maxed out my potential with it.
Learned how to drive pretty well with it first. Beat the shit out of it until it barely internally combusted. Then, only then did i even begin to think of maybe sr. I care more about rad shit and drifting then fucking horsepower.
Btw, s13 is 2700 pounds stock. Most drift cars weigh in anywhere between 2300 and 2500 pounds though.
Back to top Go down
Scuba Steve
Established Member
Established Member
Scuba Steve

Engine Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Control   Engine Control Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2008, 5:42 am

Sorry. I was a little off. I'm gonna find out who tunes Simbas ride and Ryans. I'll see what they recommend.
Back to top Go down
D*S Dstar
D*S Dstar

Engine Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Control   Engine Control Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2008, 6:29 am

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA. First thing i see when i get to Nico is this.
Engine Control 2381304719_80cca5d02d_b

And this.
Engine Control Sideshotsmall
Back to top Go down
Nachtmensch
whatever
whatever
Nachtmensch

Number of posts : 11764
Vehicle : MRS, IS350

Engine Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Control   Engine Control Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2008, 7:41 am

that, is an all around GOOD IDEA!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Engine Control Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Control   Engine Control Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Engine Control
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next