Chicago Area 240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chicago Area 240sx

Since 2006.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Funny Electrical

Go down 
+2
Jay
Nackers
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Nackers
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
Nackers

Number of posts : 1609
Vehicle : 03 350z and 89 Hatch

Funny Electrical Empty
PostSubject: Funny Electrical   Funny Electrical Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2007, 5:54 am

Ok, I'm just throwin this out there because its late and we don't have a lot of electrical info on here.

Here's the deal:

89 DOHC swapped Hatch 5 speed

Put the car in reverse, no reverse lights and low oil pressure light in dash lights up. I haven't checked to see if they are even plugged in yet but I wouldn't doubt if they are because the outside taillights weren't.

The car has all running lights working. Hit the brakes and nothing. I haven't gotten to check fuses yet, but the bulbs all appear to be good. No corrosion and the filliments are in tact. Yes, they are hooked up Smile.

Speedo doesn't work. The sensor is plugged in to the lower transmission harness, but it could quite possibly be that the trans harness isn't fully connected to the main harness. I'll have to check it out.

That is all I've found so far. Besides for the wipers sucking balls (motor possibly bad) everything else seems to work. Again, some of this shit could just be stupid easy fixes, but again, we don't have much electrical on here not to mention that it could be something more than just a bad bulb/fuse. So the more suggestions the better IMO.

Sorry for some spelling errors... I'm tired. Good night monkey Sleep Sleep Sleep

Last edited by on November 7th 2007, 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://nackersdrift.com
Jay
Newb friendly
Newb friendly
Jay

Number of posts : 1432
Vehicle : S13 Garage Slut & S14 Daily Whore

Funny Electrical Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funny Electrical   Funny Electrical Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2007, 9:47 am

press brake - go check if you get 12v at bulb
if yes, check ground.
Back to top Go down
Rated240R
Official Chef
Official Chef
Rated240R

Number of posts : 666
Vehicle : 1991 Nissan 240sx

Funny Electrical Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funny Electrical   Funny Electrical Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2007, 9:49 am

Ugggggg.......me and electrical don't mix.....

Try Specter.....lol!
Back to top Go down
http://stores.ebay.com/Rated-R-Performance
taba240
Fucking Noob
Fucking Noob

Number of posts : 67
Vehicle : 91' 240SX

Funny Electrical Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funny Electrical   Funny Electrical Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2007, 10:01 am

speedo issue could be to a faulty speed sensor

brakelights....hmm ill wait till everything is hooked up
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/psychosisdesignz
Nackers
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
Nackers

Funny Electrical Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funny Electrical   Funny Electrical Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2007, 10:34 am

I just confirmed that all the connectors for the brake lights are plugged in. I only see one ground back there and it is hooked up, though I don't have my DVOM here to check voltage. I got under the brake pedal and it appears that the sensor is hooked up and working properly, but again, don't have the meter to know for sure. Fuse is good, but while in there I noticed a little 2 wire connector that wasn't plugged in. Nearby I found the male end of it and connected it. IDK what it was, but it didn't do anything that I can tell. Maybe it was for the speedo?

I hate to rule anything out taba240, but the speed sensor was working properly in my vert, so I think that its probably good. Though near the main fuse box in the engine bay there are 3 plugs not connected to anything.

1 grey female 4 pin from chassis harness going twords the fuse box from near the washer fluid resivor.
1 small grey female multipin from trans harness going up to the fuse box
1 small reddish w/ green connecting pad multipin male comming from the fuse box.

I am charging the camera right now so after I eat breakfast, I'm going to take pictures and check that ground by the taillights. Is there any other grounds for the taillights in other locations?
Back to top Go down
Nackers
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
Nackers

Funny Electrical Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funny Electrical   Funny Electrical Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2007, 12:00 pm

Alright, taillights work now. After getting my DVOM and checking voltage by Jay's instruction, found very little voltage when the brakelights were hit and a drop when they were not.

I unplugged the fuse and turned the lights on and found that the lights themselves are on a seprate fuse. Looking at the fuse in the daytime I noticed more corrosion on it than last night... new fuse and everything is good as far as the brakelights are concerned.

Now onto thoes connectors.

Under driver kick panel. Was unhooked but now connected and have noticed no change. Speedo still doesn't work.
Funny Electrical SR-KAswapsidkwhatever021

1st grey plug comming from transmission harness
Funny Electrical SR-KAswapsidkwhatever022

2nd reddish plug comming from fuse box
Funny Electrical SR-KAswapsidkwhatever023

3rd grey plug comming from chassis harness
Funny Electrical SR-KAswapsidkwhatever024
Back to top Go down
Atown 240
Resident post whore
Resident post whore
Atown 240

Number of posts : 1394
Vehicle : '91

Funny Electrical Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funny Electrical   Funny Electrical Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2007, 1:15 pm

did u plug all those connectors in? That is where ur reverse light wires run to. If not find out where they go. There should only be like 4 on the side and unless u have a five speed swap they sould all have a plug in them.

Look around under the intake plenum and u should see the female side of that small connector.

Did u try connecting number 2 and 3?

Ur reverse lights sound more complicated then just something not plugged in.

If a different light comes on then what is supposto in anything in ur car u prbably have a short in the wiring harness.
Back to top Go down
Nackers
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
Nackers

Funny Electrical Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funny Electrical   Funny Electrical Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2007, 6:06 pm

I'm pretty sure its a mild short cause when its cold, my "BRAKE" light in the dash lights up by itself untill it warms up.

I don't care though... the car works and runs great. It'll be awesome for winter. I'll attack it more in the springtime.
Back to top Go down
Specter
WALLA WALLA WASHINGTON!!!!!!!!
WALLA WALLA WASHINGTON!!!!!!!!
Specter

Number of posts : 2505
Vehicle : '89 Piggy Coupe

Funny Electrical Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funny Electrical   Funny Electrical Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2007, 7:55 pm

that issue with the "brake" light could be an internily shorted brake fluid level indicator switch

try swapping out master cyl. caps with some one
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Funny Electrical Empty
PostSubject: Re: Funny Electrical   Funny Electrical Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Funny Electrical
Page 1 of 1