Chicago Area 240sx
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chicago Area 240sx

Since 2006.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Spray guns & automotive painting

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dirty Dee
Post Whore
Post Whore
Dirty Dee

Number of posts : 3781
Vehicle : 2012 WRX

Spray guns & automotive painting Empty
PostSubject: Spray guns & automotive painting   Spray guns & automotive painting Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2006, 5:13 pm

Has anyone painted their own car? I am looking at a some spray guns and other crap b/c i plan on repainting my whole car, interior and exterior(possible a different color). Need some help finding what i need.

Colors i am debating:Pearl White, Daytona Blue, Pikes Peak White, or the stock red (dont know exact color).
Back to top Go down
Nackers
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
Nackers

Number of posts : 1609
Vehicle : 03 350z and 89 Hatch

PostSubject: Re: Spray guns & automotive painting   Spray guns & automotive painting Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2006, 5:45 pm

What you need to know?
Back to top Go down
http://nackersdrift.com
Dirty Dee
Post Whore
Post Whore
Dirty Dee

PostSubject: Re: Spray guns & automotive painting   Spray guns & automotive painting Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2006, 6:06 pm

I want to know what gravity feed guns are good. i want to know which is better: Hight Pressure Low Volume, or reduced Pressure guns. Is SATA a good company, should I use the gun for doing the primering also? Can I use primer from a can while still getting a good finish afterwards? I have been doin some research into it and I am probably going to do it during Thanksgiving break if its long enough, or during winter break if it can keep my garage heated w/o causing a fire hazard. Otherwise I will just wait until spring break.
Back to top Go down
Nackers
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
Nackers

PostSubject: Re: Spray guns & automotive painting   Spray guns & automotive painting Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2006, 6:15 pm

Seta is some of the best in the business. HPLV guns are good, and LPHV are just as good. Depends on prefrence mostly. When you talk about primer from a can, you mean rattle can? If yes, then I would suggest you don't do that. If your going to do that much work, might as well go all out. When getting a gun, make sure you get the right size tip for what your doing. Its been a while, but I think a 1.5 tip will do everything you want it to. Gravity feed is the way to go, but if its budget, a syphon feed is just as good, just have to be more carefull when your can gets low cause it can stop spraying. Other than that, a week should be fine to get this done. Just take your time and remember this phrase... "Cleanliness is next to godliness". Keep your car clean, clean, clean, and you should have no problems.
Back to top Go down
Dirty Dee
Post Whore
Post Whore
Dirty Dee

PostSubject: Re: Spray guns & automotive painting   Spray guns & automotive painting Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2006, 6:29 pm

I read on a website that 1.3 and 1.4 tips are best for the finish. they also recommended getting another gun for priming with a 1.6-1.8 tip. Would using a smaller tip be ok with priming? if it isnt, are the tips on the guns interchangable?
Back to top Go down
Nackers
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
Nackers

PostSubject: Re: Spray guns & automotive painting   Spray guns & automotive painting Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2006, 6:36 pm

Yea tips are interchangable. But I was saying with a 1.5 you can everything done with one gun. Just for sake of price. You can make it look just as good if you know what your doing.

If you have any questions hit me up on aim.
Back to top Go down
Dirty Dee
Post Whore
Post Whore
Dirty Dee

PostSubject: Re: Spray guns & automotive painting   Spray guns & automotive painting Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2006, 6:45 pm

whats your AIM?
Back to top Go down
Nackers
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
Nackers

PostSubject: Re: Spray guns & automotive painting   Spray guns & automotive painting Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2006, 7:09 pm

Under each post past the sig is a little area that has links... profile, pm, email, etc. Click aim under one of my posts and you'll get a pop up with an im window.
Back to top Go down
A-Town-SR
Post Enthusiast
Post Enthusiast
A-Town-SR

Number of posts : 1423
Vehicle : SR 240sx (hatch)

PostSubject: Re: Spray guns & automotive painting   Spray guns & automotive painting Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2006, 7:37 pm

Dee be sure to post pics. As all of you know I am also looking for a paint job and if yours turns out good maybe you can do mine for a price. Also let me know what gun and what not you decide to buy because I would definatly be interested in trying on my own as well.
Back to top Go down
Dirty Dee
Post Whore
Post Whore
Dirty Dee

PostSubject: Re: Spray guns & automotive painting   Spray guns & automotive painting Icon_minitimeSeptember 18th 2006, 8:21 pm

A-Town-SR wrote:
Dee be sure to post pics. As all of you know I am also looking for a paint job and if yours turns out good maybe you can do mine for a price. Also let me know what gun and what not you decide to buy because I would definatly be interested in trying on my own as well.

Sure thing. I am coming home from school this upcoming weekend. During that time i am going to start disassembling the interior of my car, so I will start taking pics then. I also am going to get the tumblers reset on my door and hatch lock b/c the ignition key doesnt work on them. Anyone know how to remove the rear quarter windows on the hatch?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spray guns & automotive painting   Spray guns & automotive painting Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spray guns & automotive painting
Page 1 of 1